• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone got a ticket for running H4 headlights?

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
I once received 12 tickets from an officer that really just liked my Railbuggy. he had owned one himself and wanted to tell me I had lost a lense cover on a tail light. His sargent heard the discription of the buggy and told them to hold me. He called a tow truck and wrote me up for tail lights too high, no fenders, no wipers, no park brake, improper registration (even though it was a MVIN which meant I did get it state inspected) and the list goes on...What ended up happening is the first cop came to court and told the judge to dismiss the tickets, which he did. The Sargent wanted me to take it back to my county where we have coal stripper pits, that and I was warned a week earlier about no fenders. I still see buggies without fenders on the road. It just is what mood people are in, most of the time. Glad to here you didn't go to the pokey for trying to see better!

romping_bronco

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Glad to hear you got the ticket dropped. Sometimes cops just write tickets to write tickets. Luckily the last two tickets I recieved I was able to write a letter to the court and get them both dropped. It pays to have a clean driving record and not piss off the cops.

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
OK,
Last weekend on Saturday, I go to get something to eat with my rig, jump back into yellow77 with the grub, roll into an intersection and a cop catches me not wearing a seatbelt, I swear I was putting it on but too late........

$92. ticket..... OUCH!

Click it or Ticket!.........

76 crew

Loc.
Kahaluu, Hawaii
in hawaii,

the special interest vehicle thing is 1949, not '68, so 1950 and after have to get "recon"

technically, you can't have different lights than what your car was equipped with stock, if your car came with HID's then fine, but you can't add non OEM stuff. doesnt matter the color, even if it was pure white, he can still cite you, if the cop was M.H. then he's old enough to know what came on cars in the 60's and 70's. the whole impersonation thing he wrote up sounds like him.

the DOT thing doesn't matter, i tried to fight it once and was asked by the judge "who's DOT" "not the Hawaii State DOT"

Reconstruction was started in the 50's, it was to deter theft, if you had rims, headers, different engine, etc. anything different on your car you had to show recon the receipts, otherwise your in big trouble. Somewhere along the late 70's early 80's theft wasn't that huge a deal anymore, but i guess they didn't want to fire all these "inspectors", so recon stayed and became a nuisance.

you need recon if, rim diameter changes by 1" or more (so if you got a 16 you can go 16.5, but 17 or 15 you need recon), lowered and lifted vehicles, theres a 2 page thing on roll pans, so unless you want the hassle of them nitpicking you, no roll pans, no hood scoops, cowl hoods, or blowers sticking out, cuz it blocks your view, technically cops can give tickets for hanging your sunglasses on your rearview mirror, you have to have fenders no matter what, unless your a "T" bucket or something, then see special interest vehicle, exhaust has to exit so many inches(i forget) behind "last operating window", so no exhaust in front of the rear tire, unless your 60's-70's vette came like that, or a few years of the F-150, etc. etc. etc. theres so much more crap, i mean rules. recon is also based on population, so only oahu has it for now. i knew a guy that brought his 65 stang from the big island, with a huge roots blower and bug catcher sticking out of it, he was told to remove the blower, and get another hood cause you can't run without a hood, and you can't plug the hole with a scoop, or ship it back home.

you cannot get recon if, you have a full cage, especially the side impact bar, even if yours is a swing out (this may have changed), because it would take too long for the fireman to cut you out of a wreck, no 5 point harness, cause the fireman might not know how to unbuckle you, no shaved door handles, cause the fireman thing again, etc. etc. etc. this one goes on and on too. oh yeah, they don't want guys changing their ride height after they get recon, so they outlaw coilovers, but in the book it says "no adjustable suspension" arent all suspensions adjustable???

i learned most of this being in the hotrod scene my whole life, and though i havent personally read every page of these laws, one of my friends used to work recon, and another one still does, and my brothers a cop, so i'm usually pretty accurate with my car laws.

i wish i could go back to the states(CONUS), but the wife will never leave the island, and you guys got emissions.

Last edited:

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
Do yourself a favor and apply for the reconstruction permit. If you have applied or have it by the time you have your court date, then the judge may drop that one. Some bulbs burn so white that they give off a blueish light. I think you need to be up arounk 14k or higher on the color chart for this to happen. If your lenses are tinted, then you may have to change them out to clear. If the bulbs are tinted, the you will need to change them out to clear. If you have this done by the court date, the judge may throw the whole thing out for complying before the court date.

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Yellow77 is legal to drive in the 50th state......

The only problem is that the new recon and safety check tags are on JR's bumper which is still on my rig...

Attachments

• DSC03742.JPG
    DSC03742.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC03741.JPG
    DSC03741.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 27

hose101

mad, how was it getting a recon on the yellow 77? Did they give you any heat? What tire and rim and flare set up did you use when you went to get the recon? Trying to figure what to do before I go down and get mine. (might be two years form now but lke the Boy Scouts I like to be prepared)

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Dont tell me u had any difficulty for inspection? John will take care of you..forget the recon. I live here 8-years..no need; all you need is friends. :D