• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

anyone got tips for an auto column rebuild?

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
as luck would have it i have hit another road block in my bronco rebuild ;D

Today i installed a wild horses1" body lift (very easy) and i am very pleased with it. The roadblock came when i went to reconnect the column. after a little snatching the ball bearings fell out of the lower end of the column. :cry:

So i need to rebuild the auto column or consider a tilt column. I do not need the tilt wheel so i am leaning to repairing my column if possibe.

so if you have any tips, part numbers, or part suppliers please let me know.

thanks
chris

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can get a rebuild kit from JBG. I rebuilt mine using their kit, not hard at all just takes a little patience and time.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Don't remove the clamp at the bottom bearing. It sets the clearance between the steering wheel and the turn signal. It is probably correct once you get it all back together.

Pull the steering wheel and the shaft will come out the front.

OP
OP
B

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
thanks bud. i think i may have already messed that one up :)

i am not sure what i did but the bearings fell out the bottom and the steering wheel will pull out about 1" or so. i have not pulled the column to look at it yet.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
thanks bud. i think i may have already messed that one up :)

i am not sure what i did but the bearings fell out the bottom and the steering wheel will pull out about 1" or so. i have not pulled the column to look at it yet.

That lower clamp pulled through the lower bearing. Clamp is still in the right place. When you get the new bearing in there it will put the steering wheel right back where it should be.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Don't remove the clamp at the bottom bearing. It sets the clearance between the steering wheel and the turn signal. It is probably correct once you get it all back together.

Pull the steering wheel and the shaft will come out the front.

X1000, I should have mentioned that, it was tough getting that back right.

OP
OP
B

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
well as luck would have it that clamp was loose on my column so i am hosed.

BUT, i did stumble up on a tilt column out of a 79 rtuck today :)

now i have to decide which to use. rebuild the stocker or throw in the tilt...

regshawn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland
What year stock auto column do you have, as some are easier to rebuild then others. I will tell you that the JBG rebuild kit is not complete! I actually pieced it all together for the last one I did (75 auto) through Toms and it was cheaper for me.

OP
OP
B

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
my stock column is a 75 auto.

what parts did you use to rebuild yours. I would like to replace the lower bearing and seal and be done with it. the column worked great before the balls dropped out :)