• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone have a Dynatrac 60

78Scronco

Bronco Guru
Doing a little research for myself and wondering if anybody on here has or has experience with the Dynatrac or Currie front Dana 60's? What did you pay for them as well? Down sides to them besides cost?

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Doing a little research for myself and wondering if anybody on here has or has experience with the Dynatrac or Currie front Dana 60's? What did you pay for them as well? Down sides to them besides cost?

Not exactly a direct answer to your post but you may find this useful from a $$ comparison. I have the 78/9 Ford D60 front in my beater Ranger. It has been COMPLETELY redone- calipers, rotors, seals, r&p, detroit, shafts-replaced the "upgrade" 35 spline on the driver side with chromo after a little "incident" this past summer, as-well-as both joints. Now chromo inner and outer on d.side, chromo stub and upgrade 35spline long axle on p. side, longfield joints, new king pins, new diff cover, replaced the 35spline warn hubs with longfield drive flanges after breaking 3 hubs last summer, blah, blah, blah. The only thing that has not been replaced is the stock knuckle on each side-that will be coming if tradition continues. To the point-with all the upgrades/redo's, I am well into the mid 3k range on this axle counting the 900$ purchase of the stock "complete" axle.......... You might do some surffing on Pirate classifieds for someone with a "built" axle that is changing etc. 3-5k for a done axle is not out of line IF you trust what work/parts installed are there..............
HTH

BobbyA

I have a buddy that got one for his jeep. 7K for his. It is stout but With that kind of money I am sure that you could piece one together for quite a bit less.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
My boss at Poison Spyder has Currie RockJock 60's front and rear in his JK. I dunno what they cost but I like the design a bit better than the Dynatrac. On the Currie center section the diff cover surface is rotated upward so that the lip isn't at the bottom, robbing ground clearance. Only thing I'm not too keen on with the Currie 60 is that they use unit-bearings on the ends instead of old school spindles and wheel bearings. But I suppose you could order it wihtout them and add some Dedenbear knuckles, spindles, etc.

All that stuff is too rich for my blood. I drool over it but when its time for my own stuff, I gotta piece together my 60's from junkyard parts :)

Dusty

OP
OP
78Scronco

78Scronco

Bronco Guru
I have a 78 D60 housing. I sure do like the clearance of the dynatrach prorock 60, but not at the price of 7k, WOW.
I'm not sure what to think of the Currie angle with the u-joints in relation to the driveshaft? seems a bit of an extreme angle.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I have a 78 D60 housing. I sure do like the clearance of the dynatrach prorock 60, but not at the price of 7k, WOW.
I'm not sure what to think of the Currie angle with the u-joints in relation to the driveshaft? seems a bit of an extreme angle.

If you mean the angle of the diff cover mounting surface, it has no effect on the u-joint/pinion position or angle. Look at a photo of one, it looks pretty funky at first, but functionally its a pretty neat idea.

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
My Uncle bought a Currie Dana 60 rock jock for his jeep with disc brakes, 4.10 gears, 31 spline, and Detroit Full Time Lockers and he spent about 4000. Lot of money to me but if you have the money then damn it just get em'. :cool:

cuz1

Loc.
Raleigh NC
I may be selling my dynatrac 60 that is in my mud truck. This may be one of the first ones built. It is about 6 years old. It is full width, high pinion, 456 gears, brake calipers but no brakes. Also, converted to 8 lug. Not sure what it is worth.
Carl Welch

002_1_1.jpg