• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

anyone have pics of POR 15 on some rusty parts?

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Jckofalltrdes master/none
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
I'm more than likely gonna use the ospho stuff that I have to neutralize the rust I have, but I am wondering about this POR 15 stuff everyone keeps talking about. Does anyone have pics of the POR 15 on some parts of their bronco?
thanks
Ben

73EXP

Loc.
Richmond, Virginia (Home of Duke's Mayonaise)
hey-

i used this stuff and what people said in the other recent por15 post is true- it is slick as hell when it is wet- it does have to be primed and then topcoated, as it is NOT UV resistant- and will loose it's protective qualities if not kept out of the sun. It is a sticky, expensive and EFFECTIVE way to protect your investment.

i don't have any pictures of parts with por on them because they are now all primed- but you'd just see pictures of parts which were painted black ( or clear or silver) paint on them.

anyway- the best advice I can give you about por is to remove and PUNCTURE the top (lid) of the can, and then POUR the por from the hole into a smaller container to work out of. do this, so that later you can clean up around the hole in the lid, and put a peice of packing tape over it to keep the por from drying up in the can. once you open the top and replace it acouple of times it becomes impossible to get it to reseal if it has any product on it, and so this helps.

also- NOTHING ends up painted any better than the prep work that goes into it, so remember- though they say you can piant right over rust-

DO wire brush well
DO degrease very well
AND DEFINATLEY DO use the metal ready
(you also MUST use their primer after using the POR, so that your auto paint will stick to it.)

applying por15 to a clean smooth surface is a MUST, as this stuff DOES dry to a reallllly hard, nearly un-sandable finish- if you can sand it it aint dry OR you will be sanding a rough (not smooth) surface INTO it... so if you are using it where it will show, plan on using some elbow grease when it comes to prep.

prep prep prep!
because if you do a cr*ppy job with the prep and por application, and you end up either with little stuff stuck in the por, or a rough surface due to poor prep or poor application, you will be forced to build up primer (which CAN be sanded) over the por 15 finish to be able to achieve a smooth end result.

I am almost more impressed with the Metal Ready than the POR itself... the MR applies a physical barrier to rust that is better than just por. by applying the MR you have created a layer of zinc on all of your metal parts, which can then be further protected with por, primer and auto paint.

remember...NOTHING ends up painted any better than the prep work that goes into it.

:)

brian72

Early Bronco Student
I talked to the customer service rep at POR and he told me to pour the POR into smaller containers and put in the fridge. I happened to have a bunch of mason jars. I filled them up to the rim and then put the seal and the cap on. A little would spill out...that is good..it means there is no air in the container. When ready to use punch hole in top and use. Be careful about punching hole in top, the stuff will probably splatter.

I have pictures but at home..trying to call the wife so she can email them to me.
-brian

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Pic1.. Picture of frame half POR half NOT

Pic2.. Picture of the dust shield with POR

Is this what you were looking for?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
11_leaf.jpg

OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
the link no worky for me either! :mad:

Nice pictures Madgyver, is that por 15 on your frame and rearend or did you just have it blasted and repainted? thanks
Ben

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
[quote author=Bronco Ben link=board=5;threadid=21748;start=0#msg167961 date=1062871430]
Nice pictures Madgyver, is that por 15 on your frame and rearend or did you just have it blasted and repainted? thanks
Ben
[/quote]POR-15 on everything I could reach. I use a circular wire brush on a 4 1/2" grinder to prep it. Wipe it down with a rag soaked with lacquer thinner and then paint on POR-15 with a brush

OP
OP
Bronco Ben

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
so that black looking paint stuff is POR 15? Does in come in different colors or is that paint on top of the POR 15?
hate to sound like a dumb tail here but, If thats the POR 15 color and texture,I'm
;Dreally interested in it. Thanks
Ben