• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone made an aluminum rear fuel tank?

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I was at the scrap yard today and saw an aluminum fuel tank that looked like it could be modified to fit in a Bronco. I tried to search for a thread but had no luck. Anybody tried it? If so what and how did you mount the sending unit?
Thanks in advance!

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
you gona mount he back seat? I think a new steal tank is around a buck fifty.....cheeper to go new than modify some goofy tank with unknown history and possible leaks. I cleaned and tried to mend 2 tanks before I came to my senses and got a new tank from JBG.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks for the lead on the thread I checked it out that helps me a lot.
As far as buying a new tank I don't have 500 bucks for a new 23 gallon tank. The tank I found is in good shape, and I think I can taper and add what I need to make it work. I was going to build a steel tank until I saw this one. The aluminum tank will be easier to modify than starting from scratch. I have plenty of aluminum scrap laying around also.

Thanks for the replies I appreciate the help everyone gives on this site!
Have a good one!

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
Aluminum gas tank

I had a couple Aluminum Gas tanks built for a boat I was working on, I believe they were about $175 each including sending units... I think it was Cliffs welding, LA

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Back when I 1st got on this sight .. I'd found a welder looking for side jobs . He was going to build them for me for about 200.00 each . I saw his work. GOOD ....
.. But he got back together with his EX. & WAS gone as fast as I'd found him.
.. Darn the Luck.......

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
I have built a LOT of aluminum fuel tanks for commercial fishing boats. Mainly in the 300-450 gal. size. I like to use 5086 alloy, versus of the standard 5052, alloy because the corrosion resistance is better.

Of course neither a gasoline or fuel engine likes water. Aluminum is a better conducter than Steel and therefore Aluminum creates more condensation than steel because of temperature changes. It is also very important to have some nicely fitted and solid welded baffles inside an Aluminum tank for structural support. Because of the condensations issues w/ aluminum it is imperaritive to use a (gasoline) fuel/water seperator.

Also, if you're not famaliar with putting two different metals together, steel & aluminum I'd recomend doing a little research. Pay specific attention to your mounting system, any type of "rubber" pad for the tank to sit on versus directly to the steel frame is a good idea. The threaded penetrations in aluminum can be an issue also, they gall or corode easily, always use some type of pookey on the threads, gray colored anti-seize is about the best. And lastly, if you're in a salty region and/or drive the Bronco on roads that have had salt applied to them you should use a Zinc as a sacrificial anode to combat the salt from eating your aluminum.

The highly polished aluminum tanks you commonly see on semi truck are a totally different application then a bouncy little Bronco, that may be used off road, and the rear tank may hit the ground occasionally.

I use a steel gas tank, and a steel skid plate on my Bronco........

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Whoaa,
Thanks for the info, I had not considered the mounting points yet. I appreciate all the info. Lucky for me I live in a place where salt isn't an issue either. I haven't decided anything yet, I just happened upon that tank and was curious. I may end up building one out of steel anyways. I have a fair amount of work to do to my ride before fuel is an issue. Maybe the income tax fairy will surprise me and I can buy one instead of building.

Thanks again for the input , it is always appreciated!