• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

anyone prefer the carb over EFI?

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I have no probs with my carbuerated system. It seems like most people seem to prefer going to EFI. I know most of the plusses, but is there anyone who has a preference for the carb? Why?

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
Kinda off topic but how much does an EFI system usually cost and is it something that you can really only pull off another vehicle, or could you buy one new?

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
anyone prefer the carb over the EFI?

I have a fuel injected 88 F150 and a 68 bronco with a 600 holley carb. Ill take the carb setup any day. The only advantage the FI has is cold weather starting and gas mileage. Im always fixing something on the FI truck. You can carry a spare fuel pump in a Bronco & change if it goes bad on the road but have to drop the tanks to change them in the truck. You can cary a spare coil, points 7 condensor in the Bronc but your dead in the water if something goes out in the truck. When everything is working and its a new vehicle the FI is better but Id rather have something I can fix up in the mountains if it goes bad. I used to work on this new stuff for a living and ill take the old stuff any day.

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
Yep, I've kicked the idea of EFI around here and there, but there's something to be said for simplicity. Don't have to deal with wiring, 02 sensors, any kind of throttle position or mass air sensors, don't have to hook up to a computer to see why in the hell it doesn't run right, don't have to worry about which firing order your cam uses, etc. And if I eventually go to the 351C which I've also been kicking around, then I don't have to worry about it. Unless I fab up something, it is pretty much a carb-only deal. I sure would like the better drivability and economy of the fuel injection, though. There are some trade offs, but the bottom line for me is I'm pretty much too lazy to try and figure out all of the bugs in an EFI setup. Carbs are neandrathal but simple.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Me,me,me I like the carb. best only because when out playing and it bugger's up I can take it apart if necessary and fix so I can get in only needed to do this once with efi it is some what better than a carb but if it bugger's up Im had I would be like a monkey on a football so screwed so I go with what I cad fix and deal with good luck with your choice.%) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p ps also the cost

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I like my carburetor. It's simple, easy to work on and actually doesn't care what the motor is doing. To make EFI agree with my cam it would take a lot of time and effort.

All I had to do now is adjust the jetting and the idle mixture to work with my timing and I was done. The best thing about having two accelerator pumps and mechanical secondaries is there's no computer arguing with you about how much air/fuel goes in. It will accelerate faster out of the hole with a carb. I've noticed fuel economy is not that much different between fuel injected trucks and carbed trucks of the same size so I never worried about it. I suppose those are the best reasons to have a carb

My negatives are that the Bronco doesn't like to run when the motor is cold. It fights me all the way which is kind of annoying, but that's more because of forged pistons than a carb. In stock form my 2100 Motorcraft ran like EFI.

45acp

Loc.
Texarkana AR
no doubt about it, EFI is the way to go. properly set up, there is nothing to adjust/work on day to day. if you offroad, well then i dont even have to tell you. with that said, ive (finally) gotten my carb to run at crazy angles offroad. warmup during cold weather never bothered me, because ive had alot of carbed cars/trucks before. in short, my carb is now liveable until i can afford the time and money to swap to EFI. if it were a daily driver nice rig, then i would just leave it carb and not even care.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
Slumlord said:
Kinda off topic but how much does an EFI system usually cost and is it something that you can really only pull off another vehicle, or could you buy one new?
It can be pulled off another vehicle or it can be purchased as an aftermarket item - much cheaper pulled off another vehicle though

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
I am about to swap in EFI... A nice carb and intake will run you as much as $600.. you can get a EFI swap and pumps and lines for that price.... plus then you get the "turn the key and it starts right up" factor added in... and the gas mileage... for me it was a no brainer... I cant take a carb apart and back together.. so I decided that if I was going to learn something, I was gonna just start off with EFI.. its really not that complicated. Plus if a sensor does hose up, it doesnt mean you are dead in the water, just means it will run like shite until you get it fixed.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
The EFI will get better milage and can produce more power. The carb will do everything I want it to with enough power and it is too simple. In the worst case I can run a EB by pinching the fuel hose down and sticking it into the top of the carb to get out. That can't be done with FI.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Carb for me!!! Of course the right carb it took me 20 years to get it right. Thanks Chuck!!! Broncos have been around for 39 years with carbs some still running the origional unit rebuilt several times. will see if there are any fuel injection around that long. simple choice 1 part rebuilable for 50 bucks or less the other too damn many parts and the parts cost too much more. as the fuel injection gets old you will chase failing parts forever. fix one then just wait for another one to fail. I dont care for fuel lines on top of an engine let alone high pressure ones with multiple leak points. Fuel injection is great for a new car to get you around in comfort because when it gets old and unreliable your going to trade it in but your classic Bronco is yours for life so why make it hard on yourself.

maverickconner

I do like the simplicity of the carb, but really need the fuel injection on the trails... I have decided to put the Howe TBI (throttle body) set up on my 75 project. Its simple and cheaper than the efi.

Draw backs are just not the extra power, but you do get the increase mpg. The HP doesn't really make a huge difference with the 351, plenty of torque.

We will see how it works, one of the guys here in Tulsa uses it, he loves it. Something breaks go to autozone.......

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
I was thinking of beginning a 5.0 install with all the bells and whistles since this would never pass emissions in MD as it sits now. Which would be easier? Replace all the crusties or replace the driveline?

?:?

U

Unregistered

I wouldnt want to stop & fix an EFI on say, Black Bear or the top of Mt Antero. If you only drive around town EFI would be the bomb, or if youre into competition rock crawling.
Once a carb is set up it generally doesnt need much, some cleaning here & there, a little turn of the screw once a year.
Jerry