• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone remember the days when...

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
Right you are….we actually used that for quite a few years as it was close to an old shop and more convenient then going up to the house. Edited post as well. ;)

Technically you're behind the bronco, but if you're talking about the background I think I see an outhouse.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
I became aware of the Bronco as I began high school, when a school mate of mine drove his dads 74 to school one day. I'm not sure why but I was immediately drawn to it. Even though I was taken by the Bronco, my first vehicle purchase was a 1967 GTO. After all the muscle car was king at that time. But I did check out the local Ford dealer often and look at the new and used Broncos when they had some. After graduation in 1978. One evening in the fall I was cruising the main drag in my GTO when I noticed an all white EB on a used car lot, so I stopped in to look it over. The dealership was closed for the day. So early that next morning I stopped in for a test drive and I purchased my first Bronco. It was a 1977 all white Ranger with tan interior and 12K on the speedo. I paid $5200.00 for it. I did not trade in the GTO. I kept it for a couple more years, and the Bronco became my daily driver. The Bronco had already been cut with flairs and ET aluminum wheels with I think 31-32" tires.

I guess you will have to reference the pictures of that 77 from my garage. The keep getting a 403 error when trying to post the pictures this morning.

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
I was 14 years old and remember going by the local Toyota dealer in 1988 after church Wednesday night it was summer time and still daylight the guy was closing up the lot when I spotted the 75 bronco ranger I had to have it!My mom and I went back and test drove it the next day and I bought it.I sill see the sales man from time to time and the first thing he says is remember that bronco I sold you oh yes I remember!Drove it all through high school love that truck.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Mars you mentioned back when the speed limit was 55.
...Well as old as I am ..I remembered when it was 60 &then 65 &then 70 &then back down to 55.. 55 sure sucked unless you were in a Bronco.
THEN THE MILEAGE went to 75.... I've came to the same conclusion for my Bronco. 45 TO 55 ONLY.. ON any trips into town.. 45 & 50 is just all I WANT IN MINE .
... sO I like only about 50 . & Yes it does make for a much nicer trip to town.

Yes, I remember when it was 60-65, then 70. When it went to 55 I was happy and was not much of a supporter for the "can't drive 55" crowd. But the jump to 75 took all the fun out of driving. More than that it sure put a dent in the nice gas mileage you got at 55, which of course was why the whole 55 mph thing got started in the first place. But at 55 you could hope to honestly get 17, 18 mpg. The when it went to 75 you were lucky to squeeze out 12 mpg. Bummer.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Yes, I remember when it was 60-65, then 70. When it went to 55 I was happy and was not much of a supporter for the "can't drive 55" crowd. But the jump to 75 took all the fun out of driving. More than that it sure put a dent in the nice gas mileage you got at 55, which of course was why the whole 55 mph thing got started in the first place. But at 55 you could hope to honestly get 17, 18 mpg. The when it went to 75 you were lucky to squeeze out 12 mpg. Bummer.

At least you could still pass the VW's out there.