• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone runnin' Side Pipes?

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Has anyone out there ever run true "Side Pipes" ( not exhaust tips that just exit infront of the back wheels) on their Bronco before? Like the ones they make for the old CJ's. Been thinking HARD about creating some once I get teh important stuff finished on mine.

Can't help it. I just like love noise!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I run Hooker fenderwell headers they run outside the frame which kinda make me run side pipes like old CJ's that is if your talking about the purple hornies style of side pipe. Although I'm running regular mufflers now the cherry bomb type just got to loud for my old ears. But these still sound great.

irwin

Loc.
redding
how louder does it gett running the pipe out in front of the rear tire????:?

mtnkraus

Loc.
Iowa
I have played with running pipes just behind the rocker panel then thru just before the wheels problems are the heat on the fender flares, and getting a 2 pipe across the frame without going under it.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
GrantMurray said:
http://classicbroncos.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/9850/size/big/cat/500/ppuser/15339

This was a long time ago, but they sounded great. I took them off do to rusting through. The picture was just after my old man bought it in 1984.
That's a pretty radical EB for 1984! Actually the side pipes look good on it. Might look better on a current rig if the rockers were cut and the pipes tucked up under the door sill. Looks like original smittybuilt bumpers front and rear?

GrantMurray

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Scoop said:
That's a pretty radical EB for 1984! Actually the side pipes look good on it. Might look better on a current rig if the rockers were cut and the pipes tucked up under the door sill. Looks like original smittybuilt bumpers front and rear?

I'm not sure on the smittybuilts, they looked homemade to me. I don't have the front anymore because my mother rammed the rock entrance to my parents home about 1988 and destroyed the bumper and left front fender (no powersteering at that time). I've got the back bumper out in the barn. Here's a pic today...

http://classicbroncos.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/9781/size/big/cat/500/ppuser/15339/sl/g

I've got a bunch more pics, just need to scan them and update my gallery. New baby=no time.

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Grant's got the idea!

Hey Grant, thats exactly what I'm talking about! Too cool! I'm wantin' a big 'ol 3.5" or 4" diameter pipe w/ NO baffels, no glass packs and NO mufflers (and yes I realize thats not legally approved ;) ). Any idea what route the pipes were run from the manifold (or header) to the side pipe?

Love what you've done with the rig too. I'm sure your pops is proud! Got more pix?

Thanks for the feedback everybody! Keep it coming

GrantMurray

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Picker,

As I remember the side pipes bent inward and back, the pipes off the manifolds came down and made 180 degree turn to connect. So it made a complete 'S' and out the side there.

I've been playing with this bronco my entire life, it's been wrecked, fixed & painted twice, buried up to the frame in mud tons of times, left me stranded (when I was 13 and shouldn't have been out at 2:00am), gotten me laid, road hunting, from a wagon to roadster and back again. There's just too many stories...I did a major job for my dad about 10 years ago and he gave it/signed it over to me as payment, but truth be told he never really thought it was his anyway. I think he just liked seeing what I would do to it next, awesome dad!

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
That Broncos had a good life!

Damn, you're gonna make me tear up! That F-ing rocks! That Broncs had a great life it sounds like!

Hey you're pretty close to New Braunfels and San Marcos aren't you?(Burnet) You guys ever float the Guadalupe?

GrantMurray

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Gruene is just over an hour from Burnet, in college (Baylor) we used to go at least twice a year. Now, it's just every now and then, but still fun as hell. Back when LEBC was new we had a EB gathering there where you rent the tubes. I drove the bronco of course! I'm just a little too far away to make all the meetings and such, so I go when I can.

Nova

Sidepipes

I used to run those same kind of sidepipes on my 67. I loved them, until I crushed the drivers side going over a berm. I just bought a new set to put on my 71 Bronco from Summit. My dad used to run the old Thrush aluminum sidepipes on his 66 Bronco. I'm still trying to find a set of those. When I get my 71 running I'll have to take some pics.

fireman1749

Loc.
Clarksville, TN
My exhaust exits in front of the rear tires on each side. Its pretty loud but sounds good. With those sidepipes your talking about, you might get in a situation when they are pushed up into the body by a rock or such.
000_0756.jpg

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Yeah thats like the set up I have now. Its not bad at all, but I love the look and sound of of the true side pipes. (Not to mention the look on peoples face when you down shift into 2nd and pass 'em.)

Not too worried about the rock thing. I dont do any crawlin"...I don't have that kind of budget. Haha!

Hey Nova, send me some pics when you get those bad boys mounted!!!

mhandy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Windsor,ny
sidepipes, I like that idea. I,m gettin ready to put new exhaust on mine. From one picker to another, thanks for the idea