• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone running a Howell TBI Kit?

Bronconut

Just looking to get some information/opinions on this set-up. Also, for those who know, what is the advantage of having the computer control distributor advance? Howell makes it an option on their kits...<br>

74bronc

Bronco Guru
I have installed about 6 of the Howell EFI kits on EB's, Jeeps, Dodge's etc, both the 2bbl and the 4 bbl kits. I have to say that I was very impressed with the quality of the kits and the way they went in. The only problem I had was getting the PCM chip dialed in on one 302 equipped EB. All the others were fantastic. They run great, emissions are great and they have worked great in Moab and were very reliable. The kits are well put together and the harnesses are great quality. Customer support from the company is excellent as they will work through difficulties with you to make it right.<br><br>One drawback is the price. For $1200, you can piece together a ford SEFI system that will run just as well and you have the benefits of mulitport fuel injection. It depends on what you want to do with your rig. Some people don't like the idea of GM stuff on their Ford product. The GM TBI system is hard to beat as far as TBI goes. I am of the opinion of if it will work and be reliable, I am for it.<br><br>The distributor issue is whether or not you want the computer to control your timing. The computer can control timing advance and retard if you want it to. I installed all of the kits without this option and they all ran great. <br><br>If you have any other questions about this system, just ask.

OP
OP
Bronconut

Bronconut

Thanks! I agree, if it works use it! The only reason I am looking at TBI is that I'm not 100% on computer controls yet, and the TBI leaves me the option of putting the carb back on in a pinch (ie. out in BFE when something quits!) Thanks again, it sounds like a great kit.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
[quote author=Bronconut link=board=5;threadid=9519;start=0#68202 date=1032984786]<br>Thanks! I agree, if it works use it! The only reason I am looking at TBI is that I'm not 100% on computer controls yet, and the TBI leaves me the option of putting the carb back on in a pinch (ie. out in BFE when something quits!) Thanks again, it sounds like a great kit. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Yes, you are right. A carb can go back on easily by bumping the fuel pressure back down to the carb level (the GM TBI uses like 14-16psi, if I remember correctly). TBI is very reliable, as is SEFI. I would definitely do Howell over Holley TBI, but I think even they have come a long way in improving their problem riddled product.

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Hey, why don't you drop your EB off at my place for a couple of weeks, leave me the $1500 you'd spend on the Howell setup and then come back and get your excellently running EFI 302. I can put an SEFI setup in it, or could do a Ford TBI unit, your choice. <br><br>To tell the truth, the sensor inputs and actuators are the same, whether it's a TBI or SEFI unit, as long as it's an EEC IV system. But you do have the advantage of removing the TBI unit and putting a carb back on. Or you can trust the Ford engineers who designed the "limp home" mode to actaully have a clue as to how the system works and put an SEFI setup on.<br><br>The advantage to computer controlled advance.... basically, it will advance or retard the timing based of how the engine is responding to the programming. So if it needs a little more retard during a heavy load climb up a hill, it can do that without having to keep the timing retarded all the time to make sure it won't detonate under max acceleration.<br>Joe

OP
OP
Bronconut

Bronconut

Actually I would like the SEFI. But just not too clear on what I would need for my 351W. I've been told to use all 5.0 stuff and get a gt-40 upper and lower. But not actually sure about it. It must not be too dificult it seems alot of people do it. I'm just leary about layin' out the cash for something I'm not sure about! If I knew someone locally that had done it or a good parts list/supply I would probably just do the EFI. I guess I just need help/encouragement!!

Loc.
Liberal\Claremore
[quote author=rjlougee link=board=5;threadid=9519;start=0#68634 date=1033091989]<br>Hey, why don't you drop your EB off at my place for a couple of weeks, leave me the $1500 you'd spend on the Howell setup and then come back and get your excellently running EFI 302. I can put an SEFI setup in it, or could do a Ford TBI unit, your choice. <br><br>Hey, Whats your address? I would like a little under 40K miles on the motor. And while you have the motor out could you kind of clean up the engine compartment? I need some wires straightened out and would like it painted flat black.[/quote]

broncousa

Loc.
Salem,Or
I WAS running a howell TBI om my 74 with a 351 W. I received 8 different chips and never got it programmed right. Ran rich, fouled plugs, and had low power. Switch to SEFI and pick up 15 horse to the GROUND!!!<br>Not to mention if you make any modifications to exhaust, cam, heads, you have to get a new chip and start all over again. I would not recommend the howell kit to any fellow Bronco driver.