• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone running Bilstein 5100 series shocks w/ a 3.5" lift

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
I called several vendors local and web based including Summit for some pricing. Everyone them had trouble giving me a price w/ part number for my 67'. I'm not getting the warm and fuzzes that any of these sales jockeys have a clue and I'm going to end up unhappy with a purchase and product that wont work.?:?

I did some checking on the Bilstein site and on here and most recommend a valve of 255/70 or 360/80 for the front and off-road use. I have the stock mounts, 3.5" lift, loop and threaded stem in the front, loop and loop in the rear.

The question I have is what is your part # and valving? Thanks

next move is to call Bilstein.....%)

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Call Lee at www.Raceshock.com. He has the best prices and VERY fast service. I talked to him once about Bilsteins with the stock shock mount and he said something about a newer Ford application that was similar or something like that.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I would also encourage you to put some heavy thought into some custom shock mounts and run some 7100's. They really are worth the price. You can pick up some Superduty mounts for the front, and then fab up some rear mounts fairly easily, and for MUCH less than buying pre-fabbed mounts.

1970mule

Bronco Guru
I would also encourage you to put some heavy thought into some custom shock mounts and run some 7100's. They really are worth the price. You can pick up some Superduty mounts for the front, and then fab up some rear mounts fairly easily, and for MUCH less than buying pre-fabbed mounts.

actually for the rear they make bushings so you can run them in the stock locations for the 7100s that what i did, and if you have the orig stock double setup in front then you are good to go.

Prothane, part number 19-920-BL

Louie

Bronco Guru
I'm running the 5100 series in the stock locations with a 2.5" lift. Works good for me :cool: Sorry, but the boxes with the parts #s are at another location. Got them from Cary on this site.

1970mule

Bronco Guru
actually just saw these at raceshock.com

* Bilstein 7100 Series shocks 12’’ travel without Remote Reservoirs new $ 145.00 each / Special $ 95.00 each , 4 available. Very good condition , call for details.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
Call Lee at www.Raceshock.com. He has the best prices and VERY fast service. I talked to him once about Bilsteins with the stock shock mount and he said something about a newer Ford application that was similar or something like that.

I agree to call Lee. I talked to him and he said I really needed 7100s for 3 1/2" lift and a winch. I didn't think I needed to spend that much on shocks and ordered the 5150s. I was wrong. They would not control my front end. It would bob like a dolphin chasing a cruise ship. I bit the bullet and ordered the 7100s. Much better. Tell Lee what you have and what you need it to do and he will steer you right.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
If you want max travel then you need to run the short body 7100s with custom front mounts.

I don't believe that the 360/80s are available in the 5100s.
Tom

OP
OP
BoltBuster

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
Bilstien Valve and Application Reference says;(5150 Series-5125,5150)

Mid Size,Heep,SUV

Solid Axle 4WD Front 255/70 Rear 170/60(Comfort) 255/70 (Performance-for aggressive,high speed off-road.)

Full size Truck, SUV

Solid Axle 4WD w/ Coil Springs
Single Shock 360/80*

*7170's only

(rebound / compression).
255=Rebound force is 2550 Newtons at 0.52
70=Compression force is 700 Newtons at 0.52
0.52 m/s (approx. 20 inches/sec)

Higher numbers mean higher (firmer) damping forces and vice versa. For example, 360/80 has more control (is firmer) than
275/78, while 170/60 has less control (is softer) than 275/78.

Recommended:
Bronco 67-77 2-4” (front)BE5-6528-H5 (rear)BE5-6253-H5

Last edited:

JIMS74

Loc.
PORTSMOUTH, VA.
Kevin, if you are going to run double shocks in the front, you want a lighter valving set up. I am using 4ea 7100 shocks front and rear 4 EA 175/60 in front and 4 EA150/50 in the rear. The best way to get the right length shock is to measure the shock length at ride height and compare to the bilstien specifacation chart. Thanks 1970MULE I like the prothane shock bushing idea for the upper rear shock mounts, I was getting ready to modify the rear shock mounts to get the shocks to fit. I can not say enough good about the great service from lee at racehock.com.
Jim

OP
OP
BoltBuster

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru

I'm thinking the 7100's are the right way to go for what I want to do;

Do you have a pic of your mounts?

Reservoir or Schrader?

OP
OP
BoltBuster

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
Kevin, if you are going to run double shocks in the front, you want a lighter valving set up. I am using 4ea 7100 shocks front and rear 4 EA 175/60 in front and 4 EA150/50 in the rear. The best way to get the right length shock is to measure the shock length at ride height and compare to the bilstien specifacation chart. Thanks 1970MULE I like the prothane shock bushing idea for the upper rear shock mounts, I was getting ready to modify the rear shock mounts to get the shocks to fit. I can not say enough good about the great service from lee at racehock.com.
Jim

Thanks Jim...you dont happen to have an extra set of hoops in your collection you want to sell?