• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone running Flowmaster Super HP-2 shorty mufflers?

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I am hoping to get some feedback on the Flowmaster super HP2 shorty mufflers if anyone is running them or has run them. My Bronco has a 302, I am running an older set of hedman headers. The exhaust is run out the sides in front of the rear tires at about a 60 degree angle, I am running Sweet Thunder 12 inch baffled mufflers. I have no issues with exhaust smell in the cab. I love the sound but it is a bit too loud for obvious reasons. I have looked at running the exhaust out the back but I do not see a way to make that happen with all the parts and pieces in the way. I have been to a couple exhaust shops hoping they might have an answer but not much in the way of help so far.
I have been looking at other muffler alternatives and the Super HP-2 shorty mufflers will fit in the space I have. I am not familiar with the laminar flow mufflers at all, never had anything like them. I have run glass packs and now the baffled mufflers I have now, mostly due to the solid construction and size to keep things simple. I have read the reviews and they look like they might be the ticket but I would like some feedback good or bad from anyone that has run them. I have talked to a ton of folks locally but not had any luck finding someone that has a set on any vehicles.
As always Thanks in advance!

In addition I am open to suggestions if anyone has another option for something of similar size. I am not looking for quiet, just toning it down a bit.

T-7ToNewOldB

I have the longer version of these on my bronco. I have used both the aggressive sound and more moderate version. Sound great on idle, slightly louder than magnaflo. However, they are quieter as the RPM climbs. Get some nice burbling and popping on my 347 under deceleration. They are not super loud, certainly not quiet. You would pay attention if someone started this vehicle a couple spots away. I have a 2:1 duff system with shorty-headers.

T-7ToNewOldB

I could get you DB at idle number if interested. I can record it but unless you have a reference volume and a really good set of speakers/amp, won’t do it much justice.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I could get you DB at idle number if interested. I can record it but unless you have a reference volume and a really good set of speakers/amp, won’t do it much justice.

That DB at idle would be great. At least it would give me a comparison to what I have now. A sound recording isn't necessary, like you said hard to compare without actually being there. I appreciate the help!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
It's at rpm and under load where you need to compare the sound

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
At RPM and under load make sense. Even at an idle mine is pretty nasty, I was thinking at an idle might be an indicator across the board. I am no expert on this subject for sure. I will try to find some more sound bites online as well. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate all the info I can get.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Do you have a good stereo? I mean something that can accurately reproduce sound? Play all your comparison sound bites on a good set of spkrs... you'll be amazed how different it sounds. :)

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Do you have a good stereo? I mean something that can accurately reproduce sound? Play all your comparison sound bites on a good set of spkrs... you'll be amazed how different it sounds. :)

I don't have anything decent, I will ask my Daughter what she has. She is more technically advanced than her Redneck Dad! Thanks for the advice, I always appreciate the help.

T-7ToNewOldB,
Thank You, I appreciate it!