• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone swapped an AOD into their EB?

PartnersInCrime

I want to put an AOD transmission in my '72 bronco. I won't be driving it on any "hard-core" trails, and will mostly be commuting with it on those HOT days. My question is this. Is there any difference between an AOD transmission from a car versus one from a 4wd? Also, is there a difference in length compared to a stock trany? I'm new to the game and need as much help as anyone is willing to give!

Thanks in advance!

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
Check out the transmission guide in the tech area. Its got the basic info on length pros/cons etc. I am running the 4r70w, which is the electronic verson of the AOD, its also got wide ratio gears. I love it, I've got 4.88 gear and 35 inch tires, it really helps keep the rpms down and make highway driving much more tolerable.
The AOD has some weak points that were addressed later on. Its about an inch and a half longer than the c4 ( with adapters etc). In order to mount it to the stock dana 20 you need an adapter kit that works with either the 2wd or 4x4 version. There is a way to use the 4x4 setup, but you end up with a longer drive train.
Tom

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I going to say I still feel the AOD is the best one ..if your good at the later electronic then the the 4R70W is a great trans but I still think most just want an old trans with 4 gears ..
...There are up grade for the AOD better 1st gear meaning lower but if your staying close to town then I say get a late model AOD and use it ..modify your trans mounts with side brackets that have long sliding bolt holes so you can move from one trans to the next ..We built side mounts with extended holes in them to extend 2 inches this slide the bottom trans mount back 1 1/2 to mate the AOD .. Buddy had a 3 speed in it then a NP435 then the AOD ..all off the same cross member other than a slot welded in it for the AOD ...But it would have worked with the NP435 ..
....We took his hunting last year in New Mexico at the ranch we hunt each year at 5K to 7K feet .. His worked good ..never got hot ..ours was built by a good trans man but had no extra lower gear just a 4x4 Tourgue Convertor ..and a good job over all ...and have a qualified man set the throttle pressures.

FASTERDAMITT

Loc.
Oceanside
I have an AOD with Lentech VB, 4R70W gears and still want the 4R70W trans for better shifting control. My next major project.

gravy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Parsippany
I just finished a mustang aod from a 91. I used the AA adapter kit and low gear set from an 4R70W. The truck and car trans's are different lengths due to their adapters. The AA tail shaft kit is shorter than the factory 4wd set up. I like the this year due to the better oiling system and no electronics. I did a HD rebuild and later drums. I wanted the best of both worlds- bette crawling in the rocks and OD for the highway. So far I am very happy.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Well where do I start? AOD: broke 2 of them, first one was due to bad oiling. builders fault. Second one was a total destruction due to using the stock cast drums. They wont take any abuse. just like most of the AOD internals. Almost nothing in that trans was able to be re used. If you want an AOD you need to put all the 4r70w parts in it. If I were to do an overdrive again it would be a standard trans. The 4r is a much better trans than the AOD, and you have to find a donor 4r to rob all the parts out of it so why not build the 4r? As far as fit goes, it's a good fit. It takes a little work but really no big problems.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I run the better, updated 4R70W. Works great.

But I do have to ask if you can use an overdrive. You need fairly low gears or fairly short tires for the overdrive to be funtional. If the engine is turning a lot of RPMs and is lightly loaded at highway speeds, overdrivie is a good idea.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
We put a 4WD AOD into Frank's '75 using the AdvanceAdapters kit, and it works great for him on-road & off. The truck cruises easily at 90mph, and gets up there QUICKLY.

. . .

The differences between 2- & 4WD AODs are: 1) the pan has a sump & the filter has a tube, 2) the vent is a cap on 2WD & a long slotted tube on 4, & 3) the extension housing and tailshaft, which you probably won't use anyway.

If you run an AOD, it's absolutely critical to keep the TV cable properly adjusted.