• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone used LED's?

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
After reading about the new LED's that are now offered at BC Bronco's, I'm thinking about getting a pair (at least for my tail lights).

Has anyone purchased these? Comments?

Thanks!

IPwizard

Loc.
NE Ohio
I here they work really good, nice and bright, and most of the time they come with a lifetime warranty.

Checker Auto also sells them.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
If you only get 2 they work great. If you get the front and rear turn signals there is not enough load to make the flasher work. We tryed the electronic flasher but it would not work on Jasons EB. We put a parallel 6 ohm resistor on the front bulbs and everything worked great. The LEDs that we sell are the super bright lift time warr. ones. They are brighter than the stock blubs. We also have all of the new parts to replace the corroded parts in the bulb sockets including the socket.

Alex

Loc.
Indiana
On my hog I found a low load flasher that appeers stock, it carries my LED flashers, I cant remember the PN tho, but a bike shop would have the flasher, it was a drag specialties unit. The newer bikes are electronic but the older ones used a standard automotive style that work with this without a resistor. But the resistor is a slam dunk.

LED is great, big trucks run them, vibration does not affect them. You can get an 1157 replacement now at truck stops etc... But if you get an overvoltage situation they can burn, but that will be the least of your worries.

Case

leds

LED's cost more, but will last alot longer. Just dont crack the lense. New technology in the lenses allows fewer led's inside the lights.They can stand up to alot of vibration and use very few amps. I installed some on my 18 ft flat bed trailer 2 years ago and they are still very bright with no problems. even with me backing them into dirt and getting packed in salt, sand and snow.;D

munsonbw

Loc.
Huntsville, AL
How are the LEDs underwater? I always seem to forget to unhook my trailer lights on my boat, or worse forget to hook them back up. The LEDs would be cheaper than a set of sealed trailer lights.

hackyrat

The low load factor would be great on my trailer. When ever I pull the trailer and hit the turn signal the flasher flashes too fast because of the extra load. The LED's would solve that problem by putting them on the trailer.:cool:

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
munsonbw said:
How are the LEDs underwater? I always seem to forget to unhook my trailer lights on my boat, or worse forget to hook them back up. The LEDs would be cheaper than a set of sealed trailer lights.
The LEDs are sealed but they go into the stock light sockets

jpoore

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Exactly what I had in mind.

Seems easy enough to make. I was thinking about a kit. Soldering the LEDs onto the board is where all the labor is. THe biggest cost is pro fab PCBs, however the at home etch kits do a decent, non production job.

Just another entry on the "to do" list.

JP

Alex

Loc.
Indiana
YA it would be sweet to make a lens that had LCD's potted to the backside of it. It would be really bright just like a new caddy.

I wonder if you could buy a sheet pre made and cut it down and solder it up. Or take a caddy taillight assy and reglue it to the back of an EB lens?

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
I really like the look of the caddy tail lights... the outside and bottom edge are lit when the lights are on then the whole thing explodes into red when brakes are applied... Ive been thinking about how to do that with LEDs for a while... will prolly try to do it myself at radio shack or something... but I will wait till a few of you more clever folks iron out some kinks.

Case

Hackyrat, if you go toa truck store that sells items for semis, they should have what you need. i got 2 round led's, pigtails, rubber gromets, and brackets to mount the leds. just drilled holes in the old mounts on my trailer, bolted the brackets up, wired the lights up and was done. the pigtails seal real well to the leds, with rubber seals, and you could some die electric grease to help. they also have many different stlyles of leds.