• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone with a 5.0 and a manual tranny, I need your help

crawln68

Bronco Guru
I need to see some pictures of how your clutch linkage bolts to the frame and to the engine. When I bought my EB, the PO had pulled the motor and tranny so I didn't get to see how the clutch linkage should go back in. It also looks like the linkage is going to be right in the way of the header??? TIA

a67and77

Loc.
Albuq.
I don't have any pics right now, but can take some tommorow. The Mustang headers didn't fit because the header ran into the clutch linkage and had to re-use the Bronco manifolds. :(

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Don't get nervous just yet but MAYBE you have a problem. I don't think new 5.0 blocks have a threaded hole to bolt clutch linkage to the block. New 5.0 engines with standard trans usually have cable linkage so they don't need that hole. I may be wrong so as I said, don't get nervous just yet. Someone will come along and help you out, hang in there.

OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
2badrotties said:
Don't get nervous just yet but MAYBE you have a problem. I don't think new 5.0 blocks have a threaded hole to bolt clutch linkage to the block. New 5.0 engines with standard trans usually have cable linkage so they don't need that hole. I may be wrong so as I said, don't get nervous just yet. Someone will come along and help you out, hang in there.

I believe that you are correct. I've heard that you need to drill and tap a hole in the block for the linkage to bolt to. That was going to be my next question. Where to drill and tap? I'm wondering if the PO did something funny with the linkage because there is no part to even bolt onto the engine, only bolts to the frame with 2 bolts. Maybe I am missing some parts?

OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
a67and77 said:
I don't have any pics right now, but can take some tommorow. The Mustang headers didn't fit because the header ran into the clutch linkage and had to re-use the Bronco manifolds. :(

Pics would be great! I put the Mustang shorty headers on first and they were right in the path of the clutch linkage, so I took them off and put on the stock 5.0 manifolds and they are in the way too. I think that I am in trouble here?? ?:?

70_Steve

Old Guy
From Wild Horses site.

EFI Clutch Equalizer Bracket
This bracket will allow your stock clutch equalizer bracket to be installed on late model motors that do not have the threaded hole in the block. Our bracket provides what you need to bolt up the equalizer to the side of the block. Fits 5.0 and 5.8s

8197-efi-eq-bracket.jpg

OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
70_Steve said:
From Wild Horses site.

This bracket will allow your stock clutch equalizer bracket to be installed on late model motors that do not have the threaded hole in the block. Our bracket provides what you need to bolt up the equalizer to the side of the block. Fits 5.0 and 5.8s

8197-efi-eq-bracket.jpg

Cool! One problem solved! Now, will the Mustang or any header not be in the way of the linkage?

a67and77

Loc.
Albuq.
The stock manifolds should not be in the way, just clear the linkage point. I used the linkage adaptor for the 5.0 conversion from WH worked great. I just finished my 5.0 conversion with a manual tranny and can share my experiences. I can't get out to my Bronco right now but will sure take pics as soon as I can. Hold on there is plenty of help out there. Hey 2badrotties, thanks again, worked out great... ;D

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Here is a picture of some linkage. 351W in this picture but you get the idea. :)

Attachments

• clutch linkage.jpg
    clutch linkage.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Ahhhhhhh, it looks like I am missing the bell crank support braket to the engine. Pardon the rust, I haven't cleaned it up yet, but here is what I have.

Attachments

• 100_0346.JPG
    100_0346.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 100_0348.JPG
    100_0348.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 68

Smedley

Loc.
Snohomish
I had an 87 reman'd 302 put in and it did not have the bolt whole in the engine. Mechanic tapped one and fab'd a bracket, and I have had no problems. I will take a pic later today.

Will

70_Steve

Old Guy
I've got an 86 351 block. It had a dimple in the block where that tapped hole should have been. Made it real easy to drill and tap.

crawln68, since you have easy access to that side of the motor now, you might want to consider getting the stock engine equalizer bar bracket, bolt it in place with one bolt, and mark the block where the hole is supposed to go. Then drill and tap. Should be pretty easy.

CDHUNTER

Loc.
Franklin, KY
Just got through installing a 351 and the clutch bracket didn't clear my headers. You have to bend the plate that comes down away from the motor about .5 ~ 1 inch. Don't know if a 5.0 is even similar to this but maybe a cheap fix to your clearance problem.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I used a length of angle iron, bolted one end to where the bolt is missing on the 5.0 and the other end to the back exhaust manifold bolt,.
all you gotta do is keep the linkage from flopping around.

OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
70_Steve said:
From Wild Horses site.

8197-efi-eq-bracket.jpg

Does this braket from WH take the place of the bell crank support that I am missing, or do I need both?

OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
CDHUNTER said:
Just got through installing a 351 and the clutch bracket didn't clear my headers. You have to bend the plate that comes down away from the motor about .5 ~ 1 inch. Don't know if a 5.0 is even similar to this but maybe a cheap fix to your clearance problem.

I'll give this a try and see what happens. I really would like to run headers rather than the stock manifolds. Thanks for the tip.

tj

Loc.
Elkhorn, CA
CDHUNTER said:

Or you can cheat and just throw out the stock clutch linkage and convert to a hydraulic clutch. The hydraulic line doesn't care how you route it as long as you keep it off the header of course.

Make a bracket for the slave cylinder & bolt it to the bellhousing and convert yout clutch pedal to be like your brake pedal. A bit of work, but a cure for those modifications that get in the way of mechanical linkage.

Just a thought,

TJ

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
here is what i did. took the stock bell crank support and welded a tab to it. bell housing bolt gets cut short so it bolts half way into block and another bolt goes into the bracket halfway into block from other side. see pics

Attachments

• ClutchBracket1.jpg
    ClutchBracket1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 27
  • ClutchBracket2.jpg
    ClutchBracket2.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
eds66bronco said:
here is what i did. took the stock bell crank support and welded a tab to it. bell housing bolt gets cut short so it bolts half way into block and another bolt goes into the bracket halfway into block from other side. see pics

Cool. Thanks for the tip. Do you run headers? If so, do they clear the clutch linkage? Well, I guess that was a dumb question, huh? If you're running them then obviously they clear. %) Did you have to modify anything to make them fit?