• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anything but a stock distributor...

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
Hey Gang,

I did a search and couldn't find much info on an aftermarket distributor's for my stock 302 engine.
I'm looking to pick up something aftermarket but I'm not sure what everyone else is running. I have heard good things about Mallory but again, I'd like to get some opinion's from the group.

I'm sure this question is going to draw many responses. It's like asking, "what's the best tires/wheels" or "What kind of oil are you running" but any help is greatly appreciated.

md_lucky_13

Loc.
Idaho
I run the Mallory setup myself.

3 wires, and it was done. Cake walk. I would recommend it, although many people will tell you that you can get the same effect, only cheaper by going to the junk yard. I'm sure they will chime in though. ;D

74bronc

Bronco Guru
I liked my Mallory unilite until the module went bad and they wanted 90 bucks for a replacement. They are finicky to electrical spikes and they even now sell a "protector" device that plugs into the harness to supposedly remedy the problem. Too late for me. they lost my business. I don't want to carry and extra $90 module with me wherever I go. I guess I am one of those "wrecking yard" dudes who paid 25 bucks for a Duraspark that has been as reliable as the sunrise. Replacement module only costs 15 bucks. Not as fancy as an MSD billet, but I bet its spark is just as hot. :)

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
If u say so. My stocker was a little ruff so this one cost me an additional $100 and I like it. Should work very nicely with my MSD Off-Road Ignition.

mark74ranger

Loc.
Albuquerque N.M.
Guess I'm another one of those junkyard slumers, kind of anyway. I bought a rebuilt motorcraft from NAPA for about $60, the harness from the junkyard for $10 (off an 82 Granada) and a blue connector module for $17. The distributor is just a magnetic pickup with a rotor and cap, I don't see how an aftermarket distributor could be significantly if any better.

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
If you really want aftermarket - go MSD or Mallory. I'd stay away from Accell.

FWIW - I just bought two Napa lifetime distributors (one to use, one for spare) for less than one aftermarket distributor - and that is with the core charges!

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I run stock Duraspark on my '76 Bronco. It has a hot 408 stroker and runs perfectly on a blue module. MSD's, Jacob's and Mallory's all have a slight horsepower gain (meaning 6 or 7 HP @6000 RPM) over stock, but it is not offset by the cost.

The Duraspark conversion on my sister's 66 Mustang cost me $75 total. It's easy to get a blue module should one go out on you and you visit some Podunk rural-ass parts store. They aren't going to have a 6A box chilling on the shelf.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
I didn't mean any disrespect to those who choose to run the fancy dizzy's. When I did my Duraspark, I was in college and I had more time than money. That was 4 years or so ago and I can't see fixing something that isn't broke. bigger things on my to-do list, I guess.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
76Broncofromhell said:
I run stock Duraspark on my '76 Bronco. It has a hot 408 stroker and runs perfectly on a blue module. MSD's, Jacob's and Mallory's all have a slight horsepower gain (meaning 6 or 7 HP @6000 RPM) over stock, but it is not offset by the cost.

The Duraspark conversion on my sister's 66 Mustang cost me $75 total. It's easy to get a blue module should one go out on you and you visit some Podunk rural-ass parts store. They aren't going to have a 6A box chilling on the shelf.

my offroad box hooks up in series. If it goes out I connect the duraspark straight thru.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
74bronc said:
I didn't mean any disrespect to those who choose to run the fancy dizzy's. When I did my Duraspark, I was in college and I had more time than money. That was 4 years or so ago and I can't see fixing something that isn't broke. bigger things on my to-do list, I guess.

u r absolutely right. Mine was nasty though. I wanted something nice. This is my first TOTAL car rebuild.

:)

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
I think MSD is the best and have been very happy with mine.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Go with the Duraspark dizzy & spend what you save on a gigavolt coil. Distributors are just triggers. The coil is where the performance comes from.

OP
OP
Slumlord

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
First, thanks for all the post's gang, I'm getting some good info so keep it up!

Second,
Go with the Duraspark dizzy & spend what you save on a gigavolt coil. Distributors are just triggers. The coil is where the performance comes from.
This is why I really posted. You see, I picked up the Pertronix kit from Wild Horses (Flame-thrower coil, 8mm wires, Ignitor) and then I picked up a Ford Hi-pro cap as well. I thought that I should complete the whole process of totally updating the ignition system by picking up a new distributor too.
With that being said, I think I already have a decent coil (the Flame-thrower), I shoulden't need to mess with that anymore, right? Does anyone else have the Flame-thrower with a non-stock distributor?

Thanks!!

md_lucky_13

Loc.
Idaho
Slumlord said:

With that being said, I think I already have a decent coil (the Flame-thrower), I shoulden't need to mess with that anymore, right? Does anyone else have the Flame-thrower with a non-stock distributor?

Thanks!!

Like I said before, I am running the Mallory Ultra-lite electronic distributer with a flame-thrower coil. I replaced the coil originally with a red flame-thrower, and ran the stock points system. Well, the points crapped out on me, leaving me a very poorly running rig. Problem was: the points were brand new. I pull the dist and turned it: there was a noticable "catch" as it spun, so I knew I needed a new distributer also. I had to switch coils when I went electronic, but I am about 90% sure its a flame-thrower coil. Now my memory is playing tricks with me, since I was forced to replace the coils within about 2 months of eachother.

I even have a picture here where you can see it. Three wires, and from what I remember, they went Brown to ground, green to negative side of coil, red to positive. It was that easy to hook up:

picture