• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anything but a stock distributor...

Augustus

Loc.
South Milwaukee, WI.
An alternative thought could be running the DUI distributer from Performance Distributors. It is a one wire HEI clone.

I have one and have had absolutly no issues whatsoever.

Just conect one 12 volt keyed wire and vrooom! and it also has a jack on it for a rpm gauge.

Good luck.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
HotWheels said:
my offroad box hooks up in series. If it goes out I connect the duraspark straight thru.

Insterseting........uses the duraspark for insurance.;)

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
using the pertronix kit to replace the points, does it matter too much what distributor you use? would a stock work just as well as aftermarket?

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
Bad module on the Mallory too. Back to the old duel point set up.
Never a problem if you keep them fresh and adjusted.
I also know of two other people who hade their modules go on the unilites.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D I run a mallory unlite put it in in 86 and have had no trouble with it works grate and was not to much but good luck with your choice%) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
lonesouth said:
using the pertronix kit to replace the points, does it matter too much what distributor you use? would a stock work just as well as aftermarket?

In some ways yes, it matters. In others it doesn't.
Your Pertronix unit may not even fit in an aftermarket distributor body for one. For another, most if not all aftermarket units are going to come with their own trigger assemblies already installed. That's part of what you're paying for anyway. So if you want to use the Ignitor that you already spent money on, you may have to use a stock distributor.
High end distributors are built to closer tolerances and higher standards of consistency than a stock rebuilt or maybe even a new one. Even though a Ford distributor is a decent quality piece as delivered. Not to mention the very high cool factor of a beautifully machined piece of aluminum with all the fancy bells and whistles on it.
I would just use a new or rebuilt stock one anyway though. That way you have all new bushings or bearings for as precise an operation as you're going to get from a stocker, and have the Ignitor instead of points. Very big bang for the buck that way.

Paul

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I had a Mustang drag car no so long ago and the distributor was the most low tech item in the whole car. STOCK 85 distributor with a MSD 6AL box and a MSD Blaster coil. No recurve kit or anything. Car ran mid nines at 140 mph quarter mile. Never a problem with it. I had a VERY BIG nitrous system on the car and if I thought it was going to be a problem, it would have been the first thing to go. I spun that engine to 8800 rpm on a regular basis.

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
MSD pro-billet and 6AL box with red coil. Never idled when cold with stock '77 Duraspark.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
DirtDonk said:
In some ways yes, it matters. In others it doesn't.
Your Pertronix unit may not even fit in an aftermarket distributor body for one. For another, most if not all aftermarket units are going to come with their own trigger assemblies already installed. That's part of what you're paying for anyway. So if you want to use the Ignitor that you already spent money on, you may have to use a stock distributor.
High end distributors are built to closer tolerances and higher standards of consistency than a stock rebuilt or maybe even a new one. Even though a Ford distributor is a decent quality piece as delivered. Not to mention the very high cool factor of a beautifully machined piece of aluminum with all the fancy bells and whistles on it.
I would just use a new or rebuilt stock one anyway though. That way you have all new bushings or bearings for as precise an operation as you're going to get from a stocker, and have the Ignitor instead of points. Very big bang for the buck that way.

Paul

Thanks for the input, that will save me some cash on the distributor.