• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyway to test the starter solenoid?

chuck489

Loc.
Dahlonega, GA
I replaced the battery (with a used Optima battery I acquired) and the positive battery cable going down to the starter solenoid. The Bronco fired right up with no issues. A few days later I went to go somewhere and she was DEAD. I hooked up some jumper cables and got nothing. I went to re-adjust the cables and there was smoke coming from the solenoid. The cables were hot. Yes...I triple checked and had the jumper cables on correctly. I am assuming the solenoid is bad. I just don't want to replace it and then discover there was another problem.
Is there anyway to determine that the solenoid is bad before I replace it?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Does it do anything when you put 12V on the "S" terminal?

Might want to look at the starter cable. Sometimes they melt to the dipstick tube. A bad starter will also cause excess current to flow through the solenoid.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
1. Disconnect the battery cable and "S" wire from the solenoid.
2. Jumper the removed battery cable to the "S" post on the solenoid.
3. The solenoid should energize with a "click."
4. While the solenoid is energized, read the resistance across the battery and starter terminals with an ohmmeter. (two large connections on the solenoid.) Resistance should be near zero.