• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AOD Transmission to a 5.0

shamus

I put an AOD in my 73 Bronco, can anyone advised if they ran a cable from the trans. to the throttle position for a "kick down" or did they modify a bar to do the trick? Thanks

bax

Contributor
Old Member
AOD has a TV cable. No kick-down linkage.

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
i am planning a swap soon too and i am trying to line up all my apples. curious as to who's adapter you used #1, reason for this is the advance adapters kit says their's only makes the total length 3/8" longer than stock so no drivesahft mods needed but if you go on jeff's bronco graveyard they seem to sell advance's kit and it say you need to move the crossmember 1 1/2" back and the driveshafts need mods. ok #2 question was answered with the cable working with a carb. #3 question was did you use the stock manual tranny starter with the aod flexplate or do i need to buy a new one of those too. #4 question was what did you use for a shifter. i have the floor shifter panel already in my floor for the manual so i was thinking of dropping in a 87-93 mustang aod auto shifter in that hole and this way everything should just hook right up. i am sure these shifters are a dime a dozen these days.any help would be great. does anyone know if all of these adapter are somewhat the same as far as length and strength and who has the best prices.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I can't find where you say AA says it is only 3/8" longer? I looked in my book and on page 26 is states 1½" longer then the stock V8 transmission. I know that the AODE/4R70W adds another 22mm (7/8") on top of that.

Examples...
C4 17"
C4 adaptor 7.375"
total 24.375

AOD 20.5"
AOD to D20 adaptor 6"
total 26.5"

So my numbers come up to 2.125"

So I go in the garage, measure my 4R70W and it is right at 21.125
Subtract the .875 that the 4R70W is longe then the AOD and you get 20.250" instead of the AA 20.5" So 1.875" set back from stock.

What numbers do you want to believe? There are several, but non are anywhere near the 3/8" that you found.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As usual, AA doesn't have all there numbers straight.

Lest try another known stock drivetrain length.
6.25" bellhousing
10.875" NP435
7.5" adaptor
24.625" total length
That's withen a quarter inch of the C4 listed length.

Just figure it is about 2" longer then stock. Give or take a little bit.

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
i guess i will measure tomorrow my aod then climb under and measure the stock manual setup. then i will get the exact measurement from aa as to how long the adapter is so i will know for sure. maybe it's a typo error on their part. who else makes these adapters besides aa.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What about for the 700r4?

SB ford/700r4/dana 20 adapters???

AA makes them as well. But now you are buying 2 sets of adaptors. Not even interested into looking to what that would add up to (price or length). It has been done a few times. Expensive way to go.

OP
OP
S

shamus

Swap

i am planning a swap soon too and i am trying to line up all my apples. curious as to who's adapter you used #1, reason for this is the advance adapters kit says their's only makes the total length 3/8" longer than stock so no drivesahft mods needed but if you go on jeff's bronco graveyard they seem to sell advance's kit and it say you need to move the crossmember 1 1/2" back and the driveshafts need mods. ok #2 question was answered with the cable working with a carb. #3 question was did you use the stock manual tranny starter with the aod flexplate or do i need to buy a new one of those too. #4 question was what did you use for a shifter. i have the floor shifter panel already in my floor for the manual so i was thinking of dropping in a 87-93 mustang aod auto shifter in that hole and this way everything should just hook right up. i am sure these shifters are a dime a dozen these days.any help would be great. does anyone know if all of these adapter are somewhat the same as far as length and strength and who has the best prices.

I went with Bronco Graveyard, the mount does need to be moved back about 1/2 inch. I also have to Mod. the right side mount to the adapter because the top of the adapter was hitting the bottom of the trans. tunnel. Both of my driveshafts had to be mod. at a cost of $650.00 because of the length then the pitch (angle) became a prob. So I hade to change the pinion pitch so I didn't brake the u joints. I also had to have the driveshaft people grind some of the area where the u joints go for clearence with the knuckle. If I had known the expence and didn't already have the adapter, I would have probably just went with a C-4. This got expensive quick and then got too much invested to back out. Hope this helps....