• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Approximate Vehicle Weight EB ??

Jungleboy

Loc.
Clear Lake / Houston
Currently working an engine build for a 66 Bronco. The engine is a 302 out of a 70 Bronco. (Committed to the 302 prior to reading the forums 351 recommendations).One of the questions when it comes to cam selection is the weight of the vehicle. Mine is in a thousand pieces and would not know were to begin when it comes to calculating the running weight.
Bronco plan;
Full width axles
Duff 3.5" suspension w extended radius arms
2" body lift
17"x35"x12.5' Wheel & Tires
331 stroker
NP435/D20
Power steering
Pre-runner front bumper-w-Winch
Pre-runner rear bumper-w-tire mount
Roll Cage
Are there any of you folks running a setup close to this who knows what the running weight might be?

Amac70

ME
Mines similar except no top no doors no tailgate and plate bumpers. only weights 3900lbs

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The search should yield several discussions for sure. I think the general range of weights in the last one I read was from 4250 to 5200 depending on the individual setup. Mine weighs in at 4450 loaded if I remember.
If you figure 4750 or so you should be in the ball-park for your setup. I doubt 250 lbs either way makes any difference to a truck cam. A high-revving no-torque race cam, maybe. But a lower rpm, broad torque curve cam, that would hopefully be what you're leaning towards, would likely not care that much for even a few hundread pounds.
My opinion anyway.

Paul

OP
OP
Jungleboy

Jungleboy

Loc.
Clear Lake / Houston
Thanks for all the replies. Paul you are right, I am not looking for a high revving cam. Just looking for a cam with solid low end torque. The machine shop I'm working with is fully aware of the application and what it's use will be. Like you say a ball park figure should be plenty close. I tried several searches but have had minimal luck finding the right threads. My keywords must be way off key. Thanks again.