• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ARB or Detroit in the rear?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Am am planning on running either a Detroit or ARB in the rear. I have decided on the ARB up front for sure. It will be about 50% trail 50 % street use. Always wanted an ARB in the rear , but would it be beast to save the 300.00 and just go with a Detroit? Anbody had experience with both in the rear at some point? Any comments are welcome.

Thanks Much,

Blue71

Last edited:

raharr3

Loc.
Linden,Ca
Since you are going for 50 50 I would say ARB for better street manners and because you already have one in the front.

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
Go with the ARB :cool:

The cool colored lighted switch alone is worth the extra money, let alone the selectable performance benefits ;D

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D My bronco is my toy and I have had the D/locker in it since 74 and never had a problem with it. The new ones air or elec. just more to go wrong. I also run a true track in the front put in about the same time. That is my 2 cents worth and good luck with your choice. %) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

Dr. Awsome

Loc.
Provo
if it's going to be on the street much wich you said it will I would say go with the ARB. I think detroit also makes a selectable that acts as a LS when it's not locked. Than might be something to look into. I would also look at the OX locker. That would be my choice. I'm willing to rely on a mechanical cable vs. electric or air.

Krawln68

Loc.
Newark, CA
I run ARB's front and rear, and love it. Sometimes i drive the truck a little fast and crazy around turns, but i dont have to worry about strange things happening, cause its unlocked.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Unless it would be driven on ice a lot then I would save the money and put a Detroit Locker in the back. I've driven mine (I have Detroit Lockers at both ends) like a madman through corners and I've used it to tow heavy trailers and it had never been a problem on the street. The only time I ever notice it there is that it will sometimes lock pulling from a parking lot and making a turn if I get on it hard. Then it will chirp the tires which is interesting to listen to with 37" tires. If I planned to drive it on icy roads I would get a selectable though.

tj

Loc.
Elkhorn, CA
I like the idea of being able to decide whether I want to take an obstical in open of locked diffs. There are some conditions where having a diff lock up on you unexpectedly could be a hinderence. I also think you can learn bettter trail finesse trailing with an open diff.

I also tend to work the front wheels in the soft stuff to try and get better bite up front. Much harder to do with a locked diff.

My personal choice is an ARB in the rear and truetrac up front. And I usually reserve the ARB for a second or third attempt at an obstical. Unless I judge a moderate chance of damage if I do not use it.

TJ

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Detroit in the rear. Don't have to worry about O-ring seals wearing out with all the street miles. (not an issue in the front since most people don't leave the front locked in on the street).

Mike C

Loc.
Sacramento, CA
I have an ARB in the front and Detroit in the rear.

I like the option of turning the front locker off when needed.

I like the Detroit in the rear for reliablity.

The ARB does have alot more parts that something can go wrong, but they work great.

Just carry a few inexpensive spare parts for repairing the airline.

I also plan to back up the system with a Powertank. The ARB compressor doesn't really work well for putting air into 37" tires. And I want to limit the amount of time the compressor is used for things other than running the locker. And if the compressor should hapen to self-destruct, Powertank makes parts to run it off the tank.

But, if all should fail....You would still have the Detroit in the rear to get you through.

Of course if you are going to drive it alot on icy roads on the street go with the ARB in the rear.

Krawln68

Loc.
Newark, CA
I also factored in that my girl drives my truck as well. I dont think she would no what to do with a rearend that liked to break loose. Since she can just hop in and drive it, it makes her much more interested in the obssesion.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
68Steed said:
I also factored in that my girl drives my truck as well. I dont think she would no what to do with a rearend that liked to break loose. Since she can just hop in and drive it, it makes her much more interested in the obssesion.
Most of the people that talk down the Detroit Locker saying it has a tendacy to break loose are running spools and probably have never driven one with a newer Detroit in it. I've had two different newer ones in mine (Both Detroit Soft Lockers) and like I said above the only time I even know it is there is when I get on it hard leaving a parking lot. Then the only way I know it is there is I hear the tire break loose.

Krawln68

Loc.
Newark, CA
Im not talking down the Detroit, i would have like to run a 35 spline Detroit, but my truck sees alot of street time, with my girl behind the wheel. I have driven rigs with both kinds of detroits, and the full detroits broke loose easily. With the ARB, im not worried about any unexpected lane changes.

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the replies fellas. Looks like I have some thinking to do. Kinda leaning towards the ARB, but I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Much,

Blue71

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
68Steed said:
Im not talking down the Detroit, i would have like to run a 35 spline Detroit, but my truck sees alot of street time, with my girl behind the wheel. I have driven rigs with both kinds of detroits, and the full detroits broke loose easily. With the ARB, im not worried about any unexpected lane changes.
Do you mean the old Detroits? Both are full Detroits. the newer Detroit Soft Locker just has better road manners than the old ones which as far as I know are no longer even being made. My truck also sees a good deal of street time and to say unexpected lane change is not only a little exageration but rather is a huge one. Neither one of mine has caused enough of a shift in the back while driving it that it was even worth noting. A sudden slight breeze in the air is more of a concern to me and an ARB isn't going to help with that.