• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Are My Eyes Playing Tricks on Me?

Saltywater

Loc.
Newnan
I really need another set of eyes to take a look at this bronco listed on ebay and tell me if they see rust bubbling down the entire side panel seam in picture # 14. Here's the link:

f659_3.JPG

I would like to buy this truck for my son and I, but the body description for rust does not seem to match the pictures and no pictures were provided for the areas described as rusty. Hmm??? Thanks for your help.

Saltywater

*** Admin edit to remove ebay link and just show pic. All ebay links need to go in the classifieds forum ***

Last edited by a moderator:

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
You need someone from the Bedford VA area to go take a look at for ya, anyone out there that could %)

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You need someone from the Bedford VA area to go take a look at for ya, anyone out there that could %)

X2-I got burned on an Ebay '93 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 in Feb. this year by an older fellow who swore it was rust free and no issues. Well, new headers (the exhaust leak was so noticable I could hear it on the trailer as it cranked the first time-called him from the exchange location and he said his hearing was not the best....... yeah right), exhaust system, complete tuneup, tranny flush, rad. flush, rear dif, AC recharge, switch, castrate the alarm system that kept screwing up the ig. switch, the rust on the rear pas. lower quarter was not so easily fixed.....
Never again will I buy an unknown without having someone look at it no matter how good the deal looks!!!!!

744x4

Loc.
Taylors,SC
The line from the taillight seam doesnt follow all the way down.Have the seller take pictures of the tail light seam as close ups.

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
It looks decent. I don't think this guy is being shady, but he is very general in describing where rust is. you have to get someone to look at it.. and take a magnet.. :)

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Looks like original paint. The rust in the seam doesnt seem bad but should be looked at first hand.

OP
OP
S

Saltywater

Loc.
Newnan
Thank you all for the feedback. I have exchanged several emails with the seller and he seems to be a straight shooter. I was just concerned by what I thought was rust on the rear panel seams. I guess I screwed up and posted an ebay link on the wrong forum as well. Perhaps I can write that one off as a newbie. The driver's side line for the tailgate and the body does look off in one of the pictures, but it looked fine in another. Unfortunately I am overseas at the moment and I will not have the luxury of looking at a bronco in person before I buy. Uncle Sam will pay to ship one vehicle to my next duty station, but I have to have it included in my orders.

The seller is willing to work with me on the shipping costs. What are you thoughts on the value? Anyone out there close to Bedford, VA? I'd pay the gas and a cursory inspection fee for some in-person feedback. Thanks again guys!

saltywater

tmacstickman

It sure looks like the seams are a little rough. It may or may not be a problem When I first got my '76 the seams needed some attention. I sandblasted very small sections at a time and discovered there was no cancer at all. Sometimes it's hard to tell how deep it goes.

Froggy77

Loc.
Wild West Fairfax,Va
I've noticed this happening more and more. I can't vouch for someone's integrity that says "no rust" when there is some, but sometimes people say "no rust" as a general description. They may really mean a little here and there but not completely rotten panels. Rust is rust in my book and if there is some, even a little, you fess up and say "some rust" or "a little rust" and not "no rust".

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Rust is a subjective thing according to region from my experience. Those in the wet or salty areas are much more comfortable with rust than the dry states and generally wont consider rust...rust till its pitted or through and through. In the dry states some people freak out over just surface rust that you could wipe off with some CLR. And then you get those that just lie to you to sell a product.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Good luck man.. Definitely get plemmons to help you out... ;)

OP
OP
S

Saltywater

Loc.
Newnan
plemmons, thank you for offering to help out. I spoke at length with the owner this evening and really felt comfortable with the conversation, his assessment of the bronco and he answered my specific questions while looking directly at the bronco. Bottom line is the bottom portion of the inner rocker panels are rusted through and will eventually need to be replaced, but the rest of the vehicle is close to rust free.

This bronco is the year, color, and basic condition I was looking for within my price range. Buy it price was $8500 and it was going to cost me $1000 to have it shipped from VA to GA. I asked if the owner would agreed to absorb the shipping costs to GA. He did and I bought it today. Damn...couldn't help myself :)

I like the idea of starting with an original truck and changing it to suit my needs and interests, rather than buying one someone else has already modified. I guess now I can start with all of my other questions like where to get a full roll cage, tires, etc...

Thanks again guys, I look forward to using this site for many, many years.

saltywater