• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Are my leaf springs (stock) on backwards?

extramedium9

Loc.
Long Island, NY
Hey all,

I did a search a found some threads that leave me to believe that I put my new leaf springs (stock) on backwards, but just want to make absolute certain. The only thing worse than putting them in backwards in changing them when they were already correct!

I put them in the same direction as the "original" ones that were on the truck, but maybe they were backwards ?:?

From searching, this is what I found:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114160&highlight=leaf
"for stock springs...
offset eye toward the front
centered eye to the shackle"

I figure that I have the centered eye in the front and the offset eye on the shackle which appears to be incorrect according to the quote above

Here are some pics of the originals and how I have them mounted now.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Centered eye old.JPG
    Centered eye old.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 79
  • offset eye old.JPG
    offset eye old.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Centered Eye new.JPG
    Centered Eye new.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Offset eye new.JPG
    Offset eye new.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 114

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
rear***** front this is correct. this is pass side

Attachments

• shackles 002.jpg
    shackles 002.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 82
  • shackles 005.jpg
    shackles 005.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
E

extramedium9

Loc.
Long Island, NY
So guys... no conclusion yet?

Seems like we are at 50/50, maybe others will chime in and finally put this to rest for me (us)

grs44310, it looks like the shackles are on correct.

22213evl, if yours are correct then mine are on backwards.

This all started when measuring the angle of the rear differential pinion, I noticed that the spring perches on the housing where not horizontal and then questioned the leaf springs. I don't know if having them on backwards would cause that or not.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It will depend on the springs nowadays.
Factory original springs had the centered eye (there's a name for that type of loop, but I forget what it is) mounted towards the front at the main frame hanger. The straight one went into the shackle.
Many aftermarket springs that have a "military wrap" or "double-wrap" leaf at only one end are supposed to have the double-wrap at the front frame mount for safety.

Backwards shackles can limit travel. I don't know if it causes any other issues, but that's one too many anyway.
Open end always faces rearward, away from the spring.

Paul

OP
OP
E

extramedium9

Loc.
Long Island, NY
Paul, then my shackles are on correct. My springs are aftermarket stock type springs with no military wrap style. We're still getting conflicting answers ?:?

Maybe we'll have to resort to a vote ;D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I may have missed something, but I don't see any conflicts so far. I didn't check out the link though.
The pictures that 22213 posted are of springs with a double-wrap at one end. By necessity those have to mount up front no matter what type of eye is at the other end.
The pictures you posted, of what looks to be some pretty original springs, show the orientation like I remember my originals. With the "curved" eye at the front. That "curved" one is the one you describe as "straight into the eye"? Correct?
Maybe we're just using the wrong wording here.

If your new ones are "stock" type, then the eye with the main leaf aiming right at the center, as opposed to entering at the bottom before curving into the eye, should go to the front. Just like the old ones in your pictures.
So mount the new ones just like your old ones and you'll be good to go.

I don't have any pictures of my original springs though. I'm only remembering from all that laying under the dumb thing I did for so many years!

Paul

OP
OP
E

extramedium9

Loc.
Long Island, NY
Paul, sorry I didn't realize 22213evl had double-wrapped. I didn't look at the second picture close enough. That explains his. I didn't mean to confuse it even MORE with the doublewraps! Double wraps appear to have a centered eye in the rear, because like you said, doublewrap always to the front.

As far as the jargon i was using from the link in the original post, and please correct if I misinterpreted,
1) centered eye = front on my setup (pics above)
2) offset eye = rear on my setup (pics above)

I guess the only conflict left was with the original thread I found when searching, the link at the top of this page.

...thanks for the replies

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No problem. And I understood what you were saying about centered and offset, but when it was my turn to write them down, I kept thinking that something didn't sound right. So just in case I had it wrong, I added the semi-lame descriptions. Just to confuse things even more!
Whether they're "official" jargon or not, as long as we know what we're saying, we're good.

Paul

OP
OP
E

extramedium9

Loc.
Long Island, NY
Right on! As long as we're both talking about the same thing.

By the way did you check out the link above that says they go on the other way? Just wondering what you thought...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No I haven't. I'll go do it now to see what's up.
It actually makes sense in one way. The curve of the main leaf looks like it would add some clearance to the shackle end and give you more potential wheel travel.
I'll have to ask around some of the spring manufacturers I know to see if there is a specific engineering reason for that type of eye to begin with. And why some of them would make the spring with one eye one way, and the other eye another way, while other companies don't.
As they say, enquiring minds want to know...

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks pretty much like we discussed here. Broncobowsher is a very knowledgable Bronco-guy and says that they go the same way we decided was correct. He said his first post had it backwards.
So I'm more comfortable now too, knowing he agrees that the centered eye goes to the frame.
I'm sure somewhere here there is a link to original Ford sales brochures for the Bronco. If I remember, they used to show a fully outfitted chassis and might have had a good view of the springs. Might be a good reference and double-check for us.
Hmmm, I think my Chilton's used that picture too. Be right back...

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Rats! Had picture on page one, but wrong angle. It's the chassis shot from underneath and the resolution's not good enough. The only other pic showoing the springs hides both eyes!
It might be dark, but now I'm motivated.
I'm of to look at my other springs...

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ok. Have flashlight, will travel.
And, post-whore that I am tonight, I have more confirmations and semi-confirmations.

'71 Bronco - Skyjacker springs with centered eye to the front. I seem to remember they had a "front" marking when new, but I can't see anything to verify that brash statement.

'79 F350 - Original springs (never removed). BOTH eyes are centered. So not a good indicator. Though it does tell us that no matter what, right or wrong there's obviously not a problem with mounting a centered eye to either end.

Tah-dahhhhh

Paul

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Here are my factory FORD stamped springs coming off. Centered to front.

Attachments

• springs.JPG
    springs.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
E

extramedium9

Loc.
Long Island, NY
Paul - First off, thanks for looking into this as much as you did. Now I'm confident they are on the correct way. I agree that Broncobowsher knows his stuff, that is why I questioned mine. BUT... Unless I am misunderstanding something (which I probably am, and PLEASE correct me), Broncobowsher said they go the OTHER way. He edited his first post to be "correct". This is why I am so confused!!! Here is his CORRECTED quote from that thread:
"for stock springs...
offset eye toward the front
centered eye to the shackle"

Maybe he could chime in.

Baja71 - Thanks for the pic!

Hopefully this will help others out

Thanks bronco guru's

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OK, you're right. I thought his corrected post was saying it was like we think it is. But I mis-read it and now see that he's saying that the offset eye is to the front.
Well, for once I disagree with him then. :D Not really disagree, per sé. It's just one of those "in my experience" things. Which may differ from others.

After all, as is typical with Broncos, and I quote... "Your results may vary."

Paul