• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Are Rampage / Best Top soft tops waterproof?

ATLJrod

Loc.
Orlando, FL
It doesn't appear that they describe these as being waterproof which leads me to believe they're likely more in the water resistant category. Does anyone with one know for sure?

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
They will keep the water out. You may get a few drops if it's raining hard and it's windy, but I've found them to be pretty tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SHX669

Bronco Guru
I've got a Besttop and actually have never thought about if it's waterproof or not. I live in Oregon where it does rain so I'm sure if it leaked i'd be aware of it .LOL. Obviously if you have a gap around a door/window frame it'd probably leak. I have noticed it's "damper" in the cab with the Besttop than with the hardtop but I always assumed that was the nature of soft tops.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
They will keep the water out. You may get a few drops if it's raining hard and it's windy, but I've found them to be pretty tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same here.. Your leaks would possibly be around doors, windows if gaps aren't right

SuperSession74

Loc.
Redondo Beach
Have had mine on for about 4 months now and here in SoCal we've had the most rain we've had in years. The top has held up really well. The only thing i have to do is pull the top flaps above the doors over the top of the window/door edge. If not i get water on the door sills. But pretty much water tight .I'm actually surprised pretty decent.

JonDinLA

Loc.
Los Angeles, CA
Hey Tony! Small world man, glad to hear you are enjoying that top. We passed by your pad the other day and I must say, the Bronco is looking fantastic. And that wagon, its one of my favorite rides in town.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I've driven my Rampage in Orygun ;) for 6+ years and had minimal leakage (a few drips here and there not a big deal), very happy with the fit and overall quality.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It doesn't appear that they describe these as being waterproof which leads me to believe they're likely more in the water resistant category. Does anyone with one know for sure?

There is no "for sure" with something where the manufacturer has little control over the installation. And because these are just made to "standard" standards, you might even experience a tiny leak in a seam where something missed a beat during the manufacture.

As they said, the material itself is as waterproof as it gets. But there can be variations form one to the next, and variations on the Broncos themselves (that's an understatement!) and odd places for water go get in.
The key areas of note are, like they said, the door edges, and also the rear corners. The newer tops are much better at the rear corners than my old Kayline where the top didn't even cover or close tight! But you can still get leaks under certain circumstances. Not usually when driving though.
Overall though, mine has been on for 20+ years and I can't say it's leaky. But I do get a drip now and then through one single pin hole at the end of a seam.

And if yours is the tiniest bit lose where water can puddle on the top, you can pretty much be guaranteed of taking a bath when you first climb in with the door open!
Luckily that's probably pretty rare. The bows keep things up and taught for the most part, but it can happen.

The Rampage is basically a continuation of the old Kayline/STC tops. One area that the Bestop has an edge is in the style of the door sealing edge. It's not foolproof either I would have to say, but they use rubber weatherstripping where the door hits the top, as opposed to the door frame sealing against the vinyl material with the Rampage.
It's still a fairly simple and clever method of sealing, but relies almost totally on the quality of the installation for it's ability to seal.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

What ya gonna go with? :)

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
The tops themselves are waterproof in terms of the materials that they are made of. The problem with me and the Rampage that I am running is that the way that they seal around the doors. It is decent but could definitely be improved quite a bit compared to the type of top that you get with a modern Jeep. I know that comparing a Bronco to a modern Jeep in terms of the assembly of the body isn't really fair but truth be told the body on the Bronco is good enough to get a well sealed softop on the truck that should really not leak at all IMHO. I really wanna try and modify the overall fit of my Rampage and make it fit much better than it currently does. I just think that putting the top up is honestly a Super Pain in the ASS! Never seem to get it to fit the same way twice! I am hopeful to come up with a better mounting system for the front of the top that is quicker and easier to put the top on and off with. This is definitely doable but the problem is the limited potential market for something like this to be done! However, I think that it can be done! As nice as the hard top on the truck is, there is nothing like taking the top down and running around town topless.

OP
OP
ATLJrod

ATLJrod

Loc.
Orlando, FL
What ya gonna go with? :)

Thanks all - this is very helpful information. I was more worried about the fabric itself, which sounds like it's pretty durable and waterproof. I'm going with the Rampage, but that's because the rollbars stand ~78" and my parking deck at work allows for ~80". From some research, looks like the BestTop is a little taller than the Rampage. Also, looks like it's easier to let out the tension on the BestTop should i need to drop it down.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Yeah, the hoop on the bestop makes it taller....

I had to lower mine to pull EB in the garage at last house.. wore out 37s, 3.5SL and 2" BL...