• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Are the 78/79 Bronco knuckles wider?

Jedeka

Contributor
I am tearing my 74 Dana 44 axle apart for a rebuild. I’m going to install the 78/79 Bronco knuckle/disk brake assembly. I need to order a new steering setup and wondering if the center to center measurement at the tie rod holes are the same as the stock 74 knuckles. I have tried searching on this site for my answer, but didn’t have any luck. I did read the 78/79 knuckles have 90 degree drilled holes for the tie rods, where the 76/77 Bronco knuckles are drilled at a slight angle. Some of the heim joint steering kits have a range of 48”-51” for tie rod stud measurement. I think I am in this range, but wanted to try and verify before ordering anything.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Tried four times with four different variations on the wording, but it kept kicking me off the thread and giving an error message. Sure would like to stop having to deal with that!

Maybe it'll let you re-post my PM, but I basically gave you a simple rundown (got tired of typing the full deluxe version!) but gives you some ideas.

Paul

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Paul- You have an Android phone you are using or a computer? Android issues with Google today... sure screwed my phone up. Found the fix but the phone store guys hadn't a clue this am. lol

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just did the '79 Bronco front end on my '73, no issues but you need the tie rod "sleeve" inserts.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Paul- You have an Android phone you are using or a computer?

Nope, Windows desktop. Been giving me fits every once in awhile. I keep trying to figure out just what word combinations I'm using that make it made, but it's hard.
The last time I worked through it, I deleted about 85% of my post before it would accept the answer. So I did the same thing and PM'd the rest.

Maybe I've reached my word limit?;D

Paul