• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Are the pulleys the problem?

ghost66

Bronco Guru
A little knowledge needed from you who have been through this. I have a 4 core aluminum rad from Jeff's, newly rebuilt motor 302 bored 30, new waterpump, new 180 thermostat, new hoses belts, etc..... the engine runs hot at idle 200 plus and does not cool down at freeway speeds of 65-75mph. The radiator hose is collapsing at the top and not the bottom as it should be and I think the problem is the pulley speed is too fast causing a vacuum at the return not the exit. I have a dual groove waterpump pulley from jeffs and a triple groove crank pulley from vintage air, what size are eash pulley supposed to be I think maybe they are mismatched and one is undersized or???. Is this the problem should they be of equal size? I have not run the air yet because I'm worried about the engine temp with the air on. I considered putting a coil in the top hose but think that would just run the water faster through the radiator and it doesn't seem to be cooling with the collapse.

Cooter_76

Bump...

Don't know about pulley sizes or collapsing hoses, but my engine temp came down considerably when I installed a fan shroud.
I have a four core radiator and 3-groove crank pulley (I guess the Bronco used to have A/C). I'm planning to put a 2-groove pulley on so I can move the fan back away from the radiator (too close for comfort).

Good luck! :D

OP
OP
ghost66

ghost66

Bronco Guru
guess I forgot to mention I have a fan shroud also. This is why I am so perturbed everything is new, every part to make it run 180 is there, but it runs 200 and there is a vacuum problem on the return hose. I think everyone is probably tired of this subject but I have read most every thread first before asking the question on this subject and cannot find any mention about pulley size.

coachbarnes

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Franktown/Breck, CO
ghost66 said:
guess I forgot to mention I have a fan shroud also. This is why I am so perturbed everything is new, every part to make it run 180 is there, but it runs 200 and there is a vacuum problem on the return hose. I think everyone is probably tired of this subject but I have read most every thread first before asking the question on this subject and cannot find any mention about pulley size.
Are you using the correct radiator cap?

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:cool: :cool: :cool: A new motor will run a little hot till broken in. As for the hose is it a new one or old dose it still have the spring in it or not if not you mite try finding one with the spring in it good luck. And 200 on a new motor in this heat isnt bad good luck. %) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
is it a HV water pump by any chance. I put a HV pump on and had the same problem. It was closing the stat as soon as it opened. Put stock pump on and the problem went away.

OP
OP
ghost66

ghost66

Bronco Guru
I'm running a 24# radiator cap so that should hold it pretty good

coachbarnes said:
Are you using the correct radiator cap?

OP
OP
ghost66

ghost66

Bronco Guru
Yeah, I figured it would run a little hot until it's broken in but if it's escalating 200 to 210 without the air on what's going to happen in this 100 degree heat with the air, 230 or more......not good.
Everything on the motoer is new nothing is used the hose has a coil in it on the bottom but not on the top, I'm worried that if I put a coil on the top it will push the water faster through the radiator and increase the overheating problem. I'm running a 4" waterpump pulley with a 6" crank pulley is this too much of a size difference or should I be running a 5" waterpump pulley

wildbill said:
:cool: :cool: :cool: A new motor will run a little hot till broken in. As for the hose is it a new one or old dose it still have the spring in it or not if not you mite try finding one with the spring in it good luck. And 200 on a new motor in this heat isnt bad good luck. %) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

OP
OP
ghost66

ghost66

Bronco Guru
I'm running a stock pump, but I'm not going to give up I want this motor running 190 without air

SteveL said:
is it a HV water pump by any chance. I put a HV pump on and had the same problem. It was closing the stat as soon as it opened. Put stock pump on and the problem went away.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
ghost66 said:
I'm running a stock pump, but I'm not going to give up I want this motor running 190 without air

Are you running a Vintage Air Kit? If so, you will notice that the only place the part of the radiator above the condenser can only draw air from the engine compartment. At idle you are running 180 degree air to the top of the radiator. In other words you have eliminated the top of the radiator for cooling when not moving. Read the article in Bronco Driver #12, page 59, Cooler At Idle with AC. If you want to try out some of the suggestions I have some of the rubber left.

The stock crank pulley is 6 3/8" and the stock water pump pulley is 6 1/8" for v-belts. I think the Vintage Air 3 groove is the same as stock. I sold the one that came with my kit.

Can't understand the collapsing top hose unless it is a reverse rotation pump somehow creating a lot of suction in the top hose. Try your old pump if you still have it.

I run an Edlelbrock reverse rotation pump with serpentine and a 4 1/2" water pump pulley and have never had any problems with any hose collapsing. I don't have wires in either hose.

bronco69drp

Loc.
Cordova TN(memphis)
i think 72sport might be on to somthing. your suction for the radiator comes off the bottom hose to your radiator. if your top hose which is the return is collapsing it is because you have a rev rotation pump. your overheating issues are because your water pump cannot suck enought(if any) coolant from the top of the radiator. ;D
(just rember ALL radiators feed the pump from the BOTTOM of the radiator)

OP
OP
ghost66

ghost66

Bronco Guru
24# radiator cap came with bthe radiator from Howe, they are used in race cars so I think a speed shop would be you best bet on getting one.

uth
73stallion said:
where the hell did you find a 24# radiator cap???

i need one of those for mine right now...

OP
OP
ghost66

ghost66

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the info on the size of each pulley, I'm going to try this out in a few days and see if this works, I'm not familiar with a reverse rotation pump but I'll check this out also. I've been gone almost every freakin weekend for the past 6 weeks and have not had any time to look into any of you guys suggestions but hopefully this weekend all will be good.

72Sport said:
Are you running a Vintage Air Kit? If so, you will notice that the only place the part of the radiator above the condenser can only draw air from the engine compartment. At idle you are running 180 degree air to the top of the radiator. In other words you have eliminated the top of the radiator for cooling when not moving. Read the article in Bronco Driver #12, page 59, Cooler At Idle with AC. If you want to try out some of the suggestions I have some of the rubber left.

The stock crank pulley is 6 3/8" and the stock water pump pulley is 6 1/8" for v-belts. I think the Vintage Air 3 groove is the same as stock. I sold the one that came with my kit.

Can't understand the collapsing top hose unless it is a reverse rotation pump somehow creating a lot of suction in the top hose. Try your old pump if you still have it.

I run an Edlelbrock reverse rotation pump with serpentine and a 4 1/2" water pump pulley and have never had any problems with any hose collapsing. I don't have wires in either hose.

cynrays

First, I would take out the thermostat and try it that way. See what happens.....

OP
OP
ghost66

ghost66

Bronco Guru
will do chromeyellow, should have it solved by Sunday if I can stay home for a few days.

chromeyellow said:
I Just Installed A/c And Auto Tranny Now I Have An Overheating Problem. Never Finished. Please Post Your Fix When You Find It.

OP
OP
ghost66

ghost66

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the info on the waterpump pulley, I finally got it last week exchanged the smaller one for the 6" one I bought from Wildhorses and problem solved. No longer is it overheating, no longer is the hose collapsing, the water is going through the radiator much slower and all is well in Ghostworld. I appreciate all the info you guys threw at me so I could weed through all the possible problems and now I can feel comfortable driving it around without worrying about it overheating.

72Sport said: