• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Are there any 16 x 5.5 inch rims that will work on an early bronco?

cms

I have two 1974 broncos in Alaska. We like tall and thin tires. I have 16x5.5 inch rubbers and was hoping to put them on a 16 inch rim that will work. Will any 16 x 5.5 inch rims work for the early broncos? If yes than: What kind of offset am I looking at? and where would I purchase? If no, than can you detail the specs for the tallest thinnest tires I could get away with on my current 15 x 5.5 wheels?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Welcome
16in wheels were a option for broncos and 1/2ton pickups back in the day you can still find sets every now and then but they are hard to find. Also old jeeps also had 16in wheels that will bolt onto fords. You could order custom made steel wheels but they will cost you.
Skinniest tallest 15" tire well I know super swamper offers TSL's in 34x9.50x15's The only other tire that I know of are BFG AT's in 33x9.50x15

bteutsch

If you want used originals call Dan at www.broncoparts4u.com .. I bought a set of 15x5.5's for $25.00 each. He said he had 16's when I talked to him.. The wheels I bought were in usuable shape, but I blasted and painted mine..

OP
OP
C

cms

Thanks for responding. The tires I am hoping to mount are for a rim that is spec'd to be 16 inches tall and 5 1/2 inches wide.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Late model Dodge rims may have to small of a hub bore to fit a bronco so that needs to be checked before buying.
Kinda like trying to swap stock ford wheels onto old jeeps they dont fit because the ford hub bore is smaller but the jeep wheels fit the fords with no issues.