• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

16 or 17 inch steel rims? And where do I find them?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you install those yourself, or did a tire shop do it?
Reason I ask is that the local Goodyear dealer had to replace a friend's stock steel Mustang wheels on her '95. Twice!!!
They do use those torque-stick thingies, but apparently they don't always put an accurate torque on things. Those nuts were so tight that they literally mooshed out, and buggered up the tapered holes in the steel wheels. Took a big cheater bar to remove them to find out what was going on.
Looked a lot like yours do now.

Paul

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
Either wrong nuts or the first nut was cranked down and the rest weren't able to center because of that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I replied in his other thread that the nuts could have possibly bottomed out on the studs, however this is a more likely scenario.

beherzog611

Try Summit Racing. They have a variety of steel wheels available.

Wheel Vintiques has 15-18" steel wheels from 5-10" widths and various back spacing as well. I have had a couple sets of the 15x7" with a 4" backspacing and they fit great. Most come with the premered finish for going with the popular Wimbledon White or Argent Gray.
Good Day! Sorry the question is so late in the conversation, but it’s a great topic that never gets old with Gen 1 Broncos. I love the look and I am ready to purchase, just had one question? Does the 15”x7” 5 on 5.5 with a 4” back space clear the Tom’s (or other disc brakes) disc brakes. Right now stock rims with spacers rub. Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What wheel exactly? Most clear the disc brake setups easily, but now and then there are wheels with thicker profiles (usually cast aluminum wheels) that will rub the caliper brackets.
In all the cases I was involved in, just a bit of "massaging" the bracket for clearance was all that was needed. No modifications to the wheels.
It's a 15" issue only, as a 16 or larger diameter would easily have cleared.
Which Tom's kit by the way? Standard GM stuff, or using something different? Sorry I've not kept up with all the other kits like I should have lately. Just want to be sure that they haven't come out with something new and unusual.

Paul

beherzog611

Price is around 230 + shipping depending on what size you order. Powder is 50 per wheel.

The center is OEM style to fit ford 10 1/4" (or is it 10 1/8") caps. So the classics will fit this without modifications.

The original Bronco cap does not use this center but goes al the way to the edge of the 15" wheel. So it will not fit this 17".
Sorry for being so late to the game, but I love the look! I wanted to know if you have disc brakes on your vehicle, and what your set back on the rims are for clearance. I have as a temporary placement on my bronco the 15” stock rims with a spacer and the rims still rub. I’m aprehensive to by any rim until I know it will fit my configuration, which is Tom’s disc brakes on all four wheels, with a 2” body lift. Can you help me out?