• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Art Carr or Lokar for c4 ??

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
my old b&m mega racket shifter is tired and not fully shifting on upshifts from 1-2-3 downshifts fine. it's just very tired and sloppy. was thinking or going to a more POSITIVE shifter.

opinions on the Lokar and Winters/Art Carr please.?

not sure I want another racket style shifter, Although fun to bang shifts with
they seem inconsistent and depend highly on all the parts working right and as the teeth and dogs wear they obviously start to loose stroke.

I think I want to stay cable shifted just for ease of install, but a rod shifted Lokar would be Damn Positive but might be a pain to setup. I know the old Lokars had no detents or lockouts but looks like the newer versions do.

the Winters/Carr seems to also be popular non racket shifter that would be a easy install and should have a positive feel and shift.?

thanks for any help and opinions on making a choice here :)

note:current VB is a standard pattern.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I've run both. I was never happy with the lokar it's fine for cruising around but not much else IMO. I put Winters shifters in everything. They are robust and shift gates are easily modified or changed. I usually use the rock gate gate from Wide Open Design and cut the 1 detent out for smooth shifting from low with a positive stop in reverse. That takes a lot of the clunkiness out but still allows positive shifting when desired

anoblefox

Contributor
There is nothing more positive than a Lokar linkage shifter (NOT the cable version) Ours is set up with only one 3/4" hole just to the right of the drivers seat, with no boot necessary. The shifter lever is connected to a vertical shaft through this hole and linkage under the body to the trans. Takes some time and bellcrank parts but the results are a positive shifter forever!

js521

I have ran a Winters for ten years plus. I believe you can't go with a better shifter especially for an off-road truck. Mine is 90% trail. I would consider the Lokar for a resto-mod street Bronco. Not a serious off-road truck. Both good quality, I just feel they have two different uses.

Action

Yup

I would consider the Lokar for a resto-mod street Bronco. Not a serious off-road truck. Both good quality, I just feel they have two different uses.[/QUOTE]

This is how I feel also.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I would consider the Lokar for a resto-mod street Bronco. Not a serious off-road truck. Both good quality, I just feel they have two different uses.

This is how I feel also.[/QUOTE]

Me three. ....

ransil

Bronco Guru
I'm going the other way, I like the Lokar i had it in my Bronco fro about 8 years, I was concerned at first twisting it up off road with the rod connection, never had an issue.

OP
OP
74strokerbronco

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
damn it they both sound good, but kinda seems the serious off road guys prefer or like the winters/carr.
pricing is about the same and I'm sure either is better than the b&m mega racket or any other racket style for that matter.

thinkin I'll try the winters/carr and mount it on a raised stainless tube center pedestal. ??

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
Just for future reference here is how the lock outs work on the LOKAR shifter. Locks in park, push the button in to get out of park. If you push the button in and pull the shifter all the way back til it hits a positive stop that will be you main drive gear(3rd/OD/etc). When in drive gear you can just pull it down 1 gear, but in order to go down to the lowest gear you will have to push the button in again. No matter what drive gear you are in you can push the lever forward all the way to neutral before it locks. That means there are no lockouts from 1st to neutral. It locks in neutral and you will need to push in the button to get to reverse or back to a drive gear. I agree this is more of a Resto-mod style shifter even thou Suzi runs one in LOCO and seems happy with it.