• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

At the paint shop and need opinions please

Ksm

Bronco Guru
I'm getting my 68 repainted right now. It'll have the original off-white top and lime gold green body. The grill is currently painted silver. It needs to be repainted but I don't know if I should paint it the green, white, or repaint it myself silver? Any opinions?

I do like the silver...so if I sand it down and paint it silver myself what type of paint do I use?

Any opinions appreciated!

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm getting my 68 repainted right now. It'll have the original off-white top and lime gold green body. The grill is currently painted silver. It needs to be repainted but I don't know if I should paint it the green, white, or repaint it myself silver? Any opinions?

I do like the silver...so if I sand it down and paint it silver myself what type of paint do I use?

Any opinions appreciated!

The color is called argent silver, although I think in 68 they painted the grill Wimbledon white - anyone? The off-white top is called Wimbledon White.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I always preferred the silver ("Argent") color grille myself. It was the "upgrade" color anyway, so that might be part of the reason at least for my preference.
Stock base model was white, with the silver for Sports, or at least the Rangers and Explorers. I've seen quite a few of the body color grilles that look quite nice. Especially with lighter colors.

I do not remember seeing one that I liked where the overall color was dark. At least not that I remember anyway.
With your light to medium lime gold color, it might look nice that way.

If you don't get a definitive picture to work with from someone, maybe have the body shop paint the grille body color first, then live with it for a while. If you just don't like it, then you have the option of going with another color.

No idea what the best paint type/brand would be, but in a pinch, you can do some tests at least with your garden-variety rattle can and come out looking pretty pro sometimes.

Good luck. Hope to see pictures as examples for you, and then pictures of yours once it's done!

Paul

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You should Google early bronco images. And you will see several different pictures. It might help. I think I looked at about 200 diff pics before I chose a color. The lime green with argent looks pretty cool.

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine is currently black. Looked at tons of photos and have plans to go Argent Silver so that would by my opinion.

Sounds like a great color combo, please post pics when you get her done!

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Thanks, I will!

I'm suffering "Empty Driveway Syndrome" so at least this project will give me something to work on. I hope to get it back all done up and pretty by Christmas.