• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Atlas or 205 doubler

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Atlas case

As most can attest too, from my questions I am not as technical as I would like to be and I have never messed with adding a different case to the EB. SO, I am contemplating adding the atlas 4spd behind my c-4, what kinda of problems am I going to run into? Will I need a new T-case mount to help support the atlas? How well do they fit between the rails etc?

Additionally thinking of going to the ZF tranny with the atlas 4 spd and wondering about length as far as driveshaft is concerned.

Ben

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
SaddleUp said:
If I can make a C6/203/205 work with a 5 1/2" lift then a 435/203/205 will be no problems. (It isn't anywhere near as long as the setup I run) As to the Dana 20 this is all I have to say. (A picture is worth a thousand words)
SOB9-02b.jpg

Saddleup - how long is that setup of yours?

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
bigmuddy said:
As most can attest too, from my questions I am not as technical as I would like to be and I have never messed with adding a different case to the EB. SO, I am contemplating adding the atlas 4spd behind my c-4, what kinda of problems am I going to run into? Will I need a new T-case mount to help support the atlas? How well do they fit between the rails etc?

Additionally thinking of going to the ZF tranny with the atlas 4 spd and wondering about length as far as driveshaft is concerned.

Ben

You have some clocking options with the Atlas to allow it to fit between the frame rails. Most folks report about 1/4" of clearance between the driver's side frame rail and the t-case w/o any problems.

Can't comment on the ZF length, but Chris Hockett on B'fix has a 4500 with a Klune (Marlin) and Atlas behind it w/o driveline issues (he has a Hi-9 3rd member though). If memory serves correctly, Lee Novikoff has the same setup as well-even when his truck was more "stock".

Todd Z.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
toddz69 said:
Saddleup - how long is that setup of yours?

Todd Z.
Just under 4' (About 47 1/2") from the C6 Bellhousing to the end of the rear yoke. Basically my rear driveline is in front with the front driveline in back. (Or was until I upgraded it to larger stuff) I'm stretched about 3" in back though. I have the case tucked up high which puts my rear driveline right on the edge at 22 degrees (Static). To keep from blowing out rear CV joints I now run a limiting strap in the center of the rearend. (Doesn't effect articulation but keeps the back from bouncing up)

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
SaddleUp said:
Just under 4' (About 47 1/2") from the C6 Bellhousing to the end of the rear yoke. Basically my rear driveline is in front with the front driveline in back. (Or was until I upgraded it to larger stuff) I'm stretched about 3" in back though. I have the case tucked up high which puts my rear driveline right on the edge at 22 degrees (Static). To keep from blowing out rear CV joints I now run a limiting strap in the center of the rearend. (Doesn't effect articulation but keeps the back from bouncing up)

Cool - thanks for the info. I will check my driveline angle tonight when I get home. I recall that I figured mine was going to be at about 41-42" long with the 700/Atlas 4 spd. Can't remember if I included the yoke length in that measurement or not, though. Another thing to check tonight....

Todd Z.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
bigmuddy said:
I am contemplating adding the atlas 4spd behind my c-4, what kinda of problems am I going to run into? Will I need a new T-case mount to help support the atlas? How well do they fit between the rails etc?

Ben
Ben,

Can't address the Atlas 4 spd, but I'm running an Atlas 4.3 (2 spd) and C-4 in mine. The install was no easier or harder than a C-4/D-20 combo. As Todd said the Atlas has several clocking options. Contrary to what I've seen posted here by others, you can get an Atlas about as far up between the frame rails as the stock D-20. It clears the driver's side frame rail by about 1/2", and the underside of the floor by that same amount. I'm running the stock skid plate that used to be under the D-20 (like in SaddleUp's pic) under my Atlas; it fit with no modifications at all.

There is no t-case mount per se (to the frame rails,) it mounts off the back of the trans just like the D-20 does.

Steve

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Just to be clear the pic I posted above isn't mine. It's an EB I saw last year at SOB with the rear of the Dana 20 blown off.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
SaddleUp said:
Just to be clear the pic I posted above isn't mine. It's an EB I saw last year at SOB with the rear of the Dana 20 blown off.

I've seen several D-20s in Moab that looked exactly like that. :p