• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Atlas2 wont shift into 4low

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
I have this on my workbench and am going to be swapping the input shaft, but step 1 is put it in low/low... I can get rear into low.. I cant get the front into low. I shift the rear into low first (per Atlas instructions).. I spin the front output, rear output, case input.. I align the synchro gear.. nothing. I know it is aligned because if I have pressure on the shifter, it will rotate correctly and be engaged in 4low.. but as soon as I take the pressure off, it walks back to neutral.

I dont see any obstructions or interference or anything. It has the upgraded cast shift arms inside..

I dont know what else could be going on here... any ideas?

Here is a link to a video.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AhbhflSoDFhtkojDWhPe2lL_kR1HuWGr/view?usp=sharing

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I'm not sure what the issue is in your video, but try this because an Atlas won't shift worth a $*&%$#* unless it is input/output shaft is turning.

Hook a drill up to the input, turn it on slow and try shifting it and see if it will go in and stay in gear.

I didn't like they way you had to move or you weren't ever going to get into 4wd when I had an Atlas as I used to always see how far I go "make it" in 2wd before I ever shifted into 4wd... :) Just what we do... :)

nvrstuk

Contributor
Chinese finger over the shaft, stick the other end in a 1/2" drill...

nvrstuk

Contributor
Hmmm, hard to describe, I'll find a link.
http://www.cablegrip.com/swivels.php "line pulling"

These things are mostly known as toy things but they are used in industry as the harder you pull the harder they grip...

I was going to suggest a deep socket also as you can slide it over the output shaft without the yoke on it... it will catch a spline or two and it'll spin...that's all it needs to do...