• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Attn Autophiles: I need to port my sub box - help plz

chuzie

Bronco Guru
So I acquired a 11" Memphis sub in a sealed sub box measuring W=8" (bottom) tapering to 5" (top) x L=24" x H=16".

The problem is, in my open air Bronco, it does not produce the level I am looking for as it came out of a Honda Accord.

Can I port this box to help unleash some of the sub's potential?

If so, what shape and size port should I use?

Thx.
:cool:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Usually non ported sub speakers dont respond well to a ported box. You can try if you want but I think you may just need a different sub. Its not only a port factor its also the size of the box factor ported boxes are usually larger all around than a sealed box. There can also be differances in the actual speaker design that is used with seal and ported boxes so a seal speak may not sound all that great in a ported box and vice versa.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Well crap. I had no idea there was a difference. Maybe I will sell it on CL.

Thanks.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Porting it will make it perform really well at a limited frequency range and poorly at most other bass frequencies. Bass is a fickle beast in open top vehicles.
Sealed is probably what you should stick with.
Perhaps your not putting enough power into that Memphis Sub. What amp are you running on it?

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
I have bass box pro6 here somewhere and if you can give me the exact model of sub or a full set of thiel parameters for your subs I can see what it tells me, it will model pretty well. I build all my subs and speakers using it to model and all have been awesome so far. Many so called sealed enclosure subs will still work great in a ported config but as stated you usually see some gains around a certain freq and losses in others but its a sub and pretty easy to get a fairly flat curve from 40-120hz.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
I don't know squat about audio so y'all are going to have to spoon feed me.

Here is the amp

3y7u5e3u.jpg

And, of course, the sub has zero info on it.

yrupedem.jpg

AaronWelch

Loc.
Atascocita, TX.
I would say you are probably under driving the sub. I would be willing to bet you could double the output of the amp and still barely make that sub work well. Do you have a decent component stereo in the house? You could hook up the sub to it and see how it sounds.

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
If I am reading that correct that amp is putting out 50W per channel which means that speaker is way under-driven. I know enough about audio to be dangerous so I would confirm with one of the guys that does a lot of audio, but I don't think you are putting enough power to the speaker.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Ugh. So I need a different amp? No stereo inside. Can I assume that am is good for nothing more than driving my mids and highs?

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
Is that your sub box in the picture?It looks like a standard pickup box designed to go behind the seat.They really aren't designed with sound in mind as much as fit.You could bridge the amp and try fireing the sub off the tailgate or in a corner for somewhat better sound but it's not going to sound great in that box.You may want to look in to building a new one.Oh and bridging that amp should put you around 150w which should be plenty for a single sub.

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
What size box and ports, if any, would be needed?

Also, what the hell is and how do I "bridge."

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Gas cans eh? Awesome!

Step one will be to determine required enclosure size. How can I determine what this sub is if there are no identifying markings?

OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
This is the closest thing I could find on the Memphis site.

Mounting Depth (in) 5.54
RMS / Peak (w) 250 / 500
Sensitivity (dB) 86
Size (in) 12
Magnet Size (oz) 60

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
In a perfect world you would put a 500+ watt amp on that sub and let it eat.
But anything over 250 would work well.

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
Sealed speakers/boxes are designed for closed vehicles (windows closed, doors closed, trunk closed). The air tight cabin is essential for not blowing the subs.

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
Should be just the cone and rubber surround.That looks like a 10 but I would have to measure mine to know for sure on exact measurements.