• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Attn Frame off guys???

gritz

I am doing a frame off on a 69 bronco. Do you guys go as far as puting the grease pen marks back on the core support,bell housing and frame rail. My bronco was undercoated from hell so I have been scraping it off and found some grease pen markings on the frame side also. Thanks for the info Gritz

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Depends on the level of accuracy you want to achieve on your restore.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Frame off is a generic term, so it really depends if you are doing an original restoration or not.

Yes, on our original restos, we reproduce engine inspection stamps, grease pencil marks on the bell housing, body mount location shim numbers, correct window etching, etc.

For a modified Bronco, I would not bother with it.

Here are a few pics of some of the original marks we have reproduced and a few of the reproductions we did on a couple of our projects.

We also later put the grease pencil "OK" on the bell housing shown and also did the marks on the frame at each body mount that indicated the amount of shim on the assembly line ("0", 1/16" etc) that were all visible when we tore it down.

IMO, it costs next to nothing for the grease pencil marks and if done correctly on and original restoration, looks cool and adds to the authenticity. The custom stamps and stencils we have had made can cost a little, but are worth it to us when we are doing our restorations that will be judged. We currently have done two AACA Grand National award Broncos (the first two Broncos to receive that level) and our latest will likely get its Senior award next month, and hopefully its Grand National next year when it is eligible.

IMO, when doing a full blown restoration, it is the attention to small details like these marks (and many details) that sets one restoration apart from many others where that level of detail was ignored. It becomes often pretty apparent when you see vehicles restored to various levels next to each other at shows.

Attachments

• CIMG8842.JPG
    CIMG8842.JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN2069.jpg
    DSCN2069.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN2072.jpg
    DSCN2072.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 70
  • CIMG8817.JPG
    CIMG8817.JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Copy of DSCN1894.JPG
    Copy of DSCN1894.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Copy of DSCN1892.JPG
    Copy of DSCN1892.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

AZ73

Bronco Guru
I'm changing too many other things that make those marks not worth while, but this one under my steering column always interested me. I've never really seen it on another Bronco, but then again most Broncos I've looked at are repainted.

Attachments

• rsz_img_4931.jpg
    rsz_img_4931.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 34
  • rsz_img_4932.jpg
    rsz_img_4932.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
G

gritz

Thanks for all the pictures I think I will try to put them back on ofter paint.