• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ATV's vs trucks/Broncos other 4x4's whats better?

matts460

Almost started a small debate Fri with co worker walking out the door about whether or not Razor type side by side ATV's can get around better than old school 4x4 trucks like early Broncos or CJ's. He seemed to think the Razors could do it all and basically no 4x4 truck could do the same. I only brought it all up cuz every time I see those side by side ATV's I picture myself in a Half Cab Bronco instead. Ive never been able to fully get into the ATV's beacause I like old cars and trucks and feel my money is better justified. Especaily since if my A-B car breaks down my TOY cars/trucks can still get me to work and that's important to me. Im not bringing down anybodys hobbie! Ive never been in a position to do both if you get my meaning, I just don't have the money or storage for it all. But still an interesting debate. I found some vid on youtube of both types of vehicals doing similar things so I think im not to far off in thinking an old Bronco or Jeep could do the same for possibly less money since the side by sides aren't cheap!! Any thoughts guys?

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
I spent a day in an RZR after Christmas- 6 hours of wide open throttle to tight technical trail riding. Been on a bunch of 4wheelers, first time on a side by side. I have been rock crawling and 4wheeling a number of different rigs for 20 years.

While the RZR was fun, I won't be moving that direction. A good RZR is going to cost you $15k new and still needs a lot of upgrades to tap its potential. A 4 seater is $20k , has a wheelbase of 106" and very little ground clearance with 27" tires. When I finish my latest crawler build, I will be well under the $15k and have a very capable rig. And while the crawler won't fit on the ATVS trails, the RZR won't go where a good crawler will go. That's comparing two trailered vehicles and none of the benefits of driving to the trail, being a DD or any other uses that a street able 4x4 would bring.

pipermike

I think a lot depends on what area of the country you live in, here in New England places to use them are hard to come by, but they are tempting and look like a blast to drive. The old Bronco for me is as much about working on and building as driving.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I'm in central Florida. Sand, mud, and brush.
My eb is still primer so I do not worry about scratches much.
I take my eb down all the narrow, low overhead side by side trails.
They atv guys kind of freak out when they see me.
I'd love a 22K RZR with 7 or 8K in upgrades. No seriously, I would. I just can't help but think what that 30K could do on a boat or an uncut street eb.

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
I'll start this out by saying, yes the newest and top of the line razors are about 26K new. With this you get 1000cc's, FI, top speed is I'm guesting 65mph+, 5" over width, Walker Evens shocks (I'm guesting $1000 new). Very stable on any and all terrain and they look bad ass.

The down side to me is cost and the bolt together roll cage for shipping from factory to dealer. Being able to do 65 it looks iffy, but the factory mounting points and a custom cage in .090 tubing and a lot of after market support that problem is easily fixed at a cost. Yes it's easy to sink 30K into one of these.

What I have is a 2008 Kawasaki T-rex that I bought in mid 2009 new in box and out the door it was 9K with tax and license. Mine is 750cc comes with a spooled rear axle, switchable 2-4 wheel drive the front axle is limited slip/w 10 position cable full locking front diff. does 50mph. I being the last of 4 to buy a T-rex I'm like the youngest who gets all the hand me downs. Mine uses 2" wheel spacers to get 4" over, relocated shock mounts to get a 2" lift. One of my friend gave me his modified upper cage, and another guy sold me his used 29x10.50x15" super swampers and rims for $400. I added a 4500* winch ($300)and now I can street legal mine about $400 for parts and license fees. I also added four sand tire for $400 using the stock 12" rims so for a total cost of $10500.00.

I took mine to Moab in May 2013 for a rally for $120 entry we got four guided trails we did a fifth one the day before. I was able to do anything from 24" to 30"+ rock faces as long you had a stepping stone for a starting point (no winching). These trails averaged 4-5 hours from one end to back and that's with 20+ people in are group, with no broken parts and less than 2 gallons of gas per day. The same trails the jeep guy's were saying 8-10 hours and a lot of winching with 3-4 in there group. I've also been to the Oregon dunes twice. Plus mine has a 3 1/2x3 1/2' dump bed so it works on the farm/ranch and it works great hunting.

About all I want to do to finish mine out is to do upper half cage better seats and safety belts and I should be done.

In the end its one of those apples to oranges things. But were I'm at now it has a defiant advantage if you see your bronco more as a on road vehicle as to total off-road.

Hank_

Bronco Guru
I have Rhino 660 that I use for chores around the house. I take horse feed to the barn, I load firewood from the wood pile to the house and I plow the driveway with it. It does a good job for what I use it for and it is lighter than a bronco so it is easy on the yard. Oh yeah, I also use it for driving to my blind deer hunting or just cruising around the woods at my house for the fun of it. I would much rather have the bronco than the Rhino but they both have their place around my house. I would not mind taking the Rhino up north and riding some trails just for fun some day too.

Henry

nickgp

Bronco Guru
RZX 900 or 1000. They haul ass thru the desert, mountains and sand dunes.

swampu

Loc.
Biloxi
I have both. The rzr will out perform a bronco just by weight alone. My rzr has 33" outlaws with a 800cc engine. Fuel injection, winch front and rear. I'll never sell my bronco but I don't tear off in the woods anymore with it. Either ride has it's limitations..I've been stuck for hours in both. The better the rig the furthur in the woods you go, ya'll know that. ps. they both brake about the same amount of stuff. If you have kids and they ride 4 wheelers you should ride with them in a rzr.
2012-12-03103441.jpg

P3120089.jpg

ENDLIFE

Is everyone forgetting about the racing origins of the EB? The Razor would beat a bronco off the line, but the Bronco up to speed would easily creep by. Plus, when I go hunting it is a whole lot easier to throw an elk carcass in my Bronco, and I have a heater to warm me up after. However, side by sides are fun as hell, but for the price you could build a decent mild pre-runner Bronco.

Awesome side by side story.
http://www.utvunderground.com/2013-score-baja-1000-9526.html

Last edited:

wookie650

I have a rhino and a bronco and have to say that there are things the Rhino can do that the Bronco can't and vise-verse. The side by sides have a low center of gravity and a good power to weight ratio. They have lockers and low range. They also have great visibility when coming over blind hills. I love the Bronco for the fact I can drive it to the trail, and more creature comforts. Like said before, they both have their place. I still prefer the Bronco.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I've owned a Ford GPW and M38 flat fenders. Both had the flat head 4 bangers. If get another small 4x4, it will be a flat fender. Even with 73yr. old running gear they were the most fun vehicles I've ever driven. A few modifications like a Buick V6, role bar, seat belts, 12 volt electrical system, springs, shocks, brakes, and tires and they can get you around town, to the hunt area, and seat 4 in a pinch. Broncos are a lot more civilized and have twice the interior room. I'm not inclined to put them in the same category. The CJ5, FJ40, and Scouts of the same vintage weren't as comfortable as the Bronco either. The minute you drive the quad out of the dealership you start loosing money. Early CJs can be a good investment.

OP
OP
matts460

matts460

Ha Ha this has been some fun reading! Thanks guys! I know its all apples to oranges really, but its fun to compare anyway. I also feel even if the ATV's break the same amount on average the parts are still probly going to cost more than on the Bronco's. I think in the end a well built Bronco still has an edge on depedibility. But ya 20k is hard to justifiy for a vehical you cant drive down highway to work no matter how its set up. But that's just my opinion! lol

OP
OP
matts460

matts460

Also there are a few offroad parks that don't allow side by side's!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I think cost is the main factor but then again go buy a decked out bronco and it will cost you. So thats about even. For the most part the side by sides are a good toy that can do a lot offroad. They tend to ride very well and you can usually go way faster on the trail than you can in a bronco. They are good on gas and well they are fun.
On the flip side you can drive your bronco in any weather, hit the highway and stay with traffic and have a vehicle that not everyone can just go buy.
As has been said both have limitations it all depends on your useage and what you need it to do.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
I'll preface this with the obvious fact that I am a Bronco enthusiast but...

For me the primary factor was cost. We looked at trading our 4-wheeler (which my wife did not like to ride) for a side by side. Holy smokes were we amazed by the cost, especially if you want a cab/heater/windshield etc. At that time it was going to be in the $14K range. I am into my Bronco about 1/3 of that (so far :)). And other than plowing snow, my 4-wheeler hasn't been ridden since.

Now with that being said, buying a new or slightly used UTV makes it much easier for a lot of people. Little to no maintenance as compared to an old Bronco/Jeep/Landcruiser or whatever. Let's face it, you have to have some level of dedication and mechanical aptitude to own a Bronco.

Capability wise? Don't know if its entirely a fair comparison, as there are a lot of variables involved, but I will say that my wife is much more comfortable riding in the Bronco. We can drive it 70 miles roundtrip to the area we wheel - no trailering involved. One of my friends has a RZR and I end up hauling most of his gear because he doesn't have room for it.

And my Bronco is the one that gets the most compliments. :cool:

97XEB

Back when I was single, and back when an ATV didn't cost as much as a decent 4x4, an ATV would have been my 'no-brainer' answer...

However, now, with a wife and two kids (which means 4 ATVs), and with the machines costing as much as they do, I say 4x4 all the way! (3 - 4 decent quads or a side by will easily be more than what I paid for my Bronco... ) For me, it's a lot easier, more social and in many ways much safer to throw the 4 us in my Bronco.

+ I can drive my Bronco to the trails, where I'd need at least a new trailer for multiple quads or a side by.
+ Even when I can't hit the dirt, I can still drive my Bronco around town, or take it on road-trip just for the fun of it.
+ I also have the option to use my Bronco as a utility vehicle to haul or tow stuff. Finally, it's a great a 'backup transportation' option should my daily driver let me down.

I'll give you some utility factor with an ATV or side by, but for the money, a 4x4 is MUCH more versatile.

All that said, by all means, if you have the coin, get both, I know I'd like to if funds ever permit.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
As far as reliability concerns, the Polaris RZRs are incredibly bullit proof. That is, if you dont screw with them too much. My 900 has never let me down. I have ran it thru the badlands outside of V Town like it was in the Mint 400! Pretty much stock, except a brain box and some aftermarket springs for the shocks. That damn thing will run 70 plus MPH and soak up almost anything you throw at it. However, you have got to have your wits about you. If you dont, its gonna be a yard sale! One thing I want to say is, WEAR A DAMN HELMET!

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Oh, speaking of reliability, my buddy, Rockstar, who has way too much money, turbo'd his 900 4 seater. Guess what, first trip out, boom. Ride Now did the work. Think they were R and Ding on his and another guys dime. Another buddy of ours who races desert did some testing for Polaris. The engineers said they have R and D them to the hilt. Oh well, let them F with them. For me, I know I will get home or back to camp!