• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Audiophiles - Head Unit Suggestions...

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
Gang,

I just got my new Tuffy console with 6x9 speaker boxes yesterday and now I need to fill them.

I wanted to post to get some ideas as to what everyone else is running in their rigs. Before I delve any deeper I should say that I did do a search for this topic and I found one post that was helpful.

Pioneer/Tuffy Review

This gave me a step in the right direction with a few comments on what some EB owners purchased for a head unit.

My EB is nearly stock in its suspension, so my ride is really rough and bumpy. I figured that it would be so bumpy that it wouldn’t even be worth me purchasing an in-dash (so to speak) CD player because it would be skipping every 3 seconds. I thought it may be smarter for me to purchase a modest stereo then buy an MP3 player to plug into it. Viola, no skipping because there are no moving parts.

I guess my question is 1) what head unit do you have 2) does it skip much on your daily commute 3) how much was it and 4) where did you get it from.

I’d like to stick with a unit that costs around $100 or so. I’m not really interested in some high end stereo system, I just want it so that I can blast it when I need to. Also, MP3 capabilities would be nice, but I’m not dropping $200 for that.

Any suggestions are well received.

Thanks!

marcin

Loc.
Boca Raton Florida
I have sony xploid cd with 2 remotes and xm radio but i got that out of my old car that i totalled.
It will be ok i guess but would not be my choice for bronco.
If i were you i would look at marine radios. I know jensen makes them and they are not to expensive. Jensen might not be a best company out there but still...
These marine units have usually longer anti skip cache memory and most importantly are "water-proof". I dont know if you have hard top on at all times, but i will be using bikini top 99% of the time. Go to jcwhitney.com or ebay and look around. The power ratings really dont mean much because if you want to go loud you will have to get amp anyway so who cares about 4x50watt
another cool thing about those marine radios is that they are white (most of them) and it just looks different.

my penny

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I've had the best luck running pioneer stuff in my 4x4's. I've had kenwood, alpine, & aiwa go bad from the dust and bouncing around.

OP
OP
Slumlord

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
Thanks for the good info, gang.
I heard that Pioneer and Panasonic were good brands to run in our rides. Anyone else have any comments?

Thanks!

giordano

Loc.
Victoria, BC
I've always used panasonic stuff and have never had a problem with it. I'll be buying it again soon seeing as mine got jacked last night.

Clarion makes some decent weatherproof equipment too.

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
You need to check with the manufacturer about the angle which the Tuffy Box will force the mount... (did that make sense?) The stereo will be at a negative angle. Some have a problem ejecting at that.

I got a nice JVC a while back and it has the Aux jack on the front for your MP3 player. It has never skipped, ever.

dxeflyr

Loc.
Ocala FL
I used to own a company that provided sound for local bands and DJ's. Whenever I bought consumer-grade electronics, I bought Sony; it's moderately priced, and it lasts forever. This has also been true of all the car stereo stuff I've bought. I believe they also make marine stereos, but I think they're more expensive than the rest that the other guys have mentioned.

My $.02

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
I had a Pioneer deck, and it performed really well. Never skipped even when I would be bouncing around on washboard roads, or flying through the desert. However, for some reason it finally stopped working after 2.5 years, so I went with an Alpine. I like the Alpine's features, but it does skip when the terrain is rough. For the price, Pioneers are nice.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Kenwood's suck, IMO. I have one in my bronco now and it is OK, but not great. It skips quite a bit. Discs that work fine in my wife's 6 year old Clarion CD player will skip in my Kenwood. Our Clarion in my wife's ricer has perfectly reliable over the years.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
remind me..I have a review by peterson's 4wd that recomended a head unit that was made for 4wds. Let me know if u r interested and i will search my "library".

green73brc

i have an older pioneer that i had gotten with the bronco however with stock susp i have never had it skip... broken a couple of things of the head but it runs like a champ!

ltatro

Loc.
Michigan
eclipse head unit, kenwood amp, 3X5's under the dash, 5X7's under the rear seat, 2 10" in custom box behind rear seat, I have a teenage daughter, picture of 3X5 under dash, didn't want to butcher the doors.

Attachments

• archie.jpg
    archie.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 156
OP
OP
Slumlord

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
GREAT info guys. I was thinking that I had no hope of finding a CD player with serious anti-skip capabilities, however, it sounds like many of you have proven me wrong!

HotWheels, I would be very interested in hearing what Peterson's has to say about the 4x4 stereo.

Also, MnkyBiz, what model JVC do you have? I'm really interested in a unit that has an input for an MP3 player...

yak67

Bronco Guru
I run an alpine cd in my tuffy console, and have no problems with it. Its been installed and used daily now for about 2 1/2 years, doesn't skip unless the the road is washboarded. Then I'm running sony x-plode 6 x 9's. Good combination, even will drown out the 351 and dual exhaust if needed (but who wants to do that;D )

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
yeah, it's too expensive from what you say but $250 = waterproof and so far hasn't skipped (she's meant for a boat so it can take some serious bouncing). I couldn't be happier. Now I don't worry about leaving the top off in the rain...%)

Attachments

• 017_14a.jpg
    017_14a.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 120

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Wow. I saw the topic of this thread and I was afraid to look at it. I thought it might be about someone like Michael Jackson. I wasn't sure what a audiophile was ;D . With all the crazy topics that have been coming up on here lately I was thinking :eek: pervert or something. Glad it wasn't what I thought it was :) ;)

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Slumlord said:
Thanks for the good info, gang.
I heard that Pioneer and Panasonic were good brands to run in our rides. Anyone else have any comments?

Thanks!
Slumlord, I would stay away from Audio anything that says or someone tells you is for 4X4.
It is usually just like the 4X4 stickers on the sides of I-5 4wds, fluff.
Go to your friendly neighborhood Kenworth, Peterbuilt, or Freightliner dealer, go into the parts room and ask what brands and models they install.
This stuff gets the crap kicked out of it and rolls about 125,000 rough miles a year, the drivers would not puchase them and the brands would not last in a truck shop if they got a bad rep.
I can tell you that I have had a Blauplunkt that came from a White/ Volvo after 500,000 miles back and for across North America(in my 68 now) , It is 18 years old. Yes Panasonic is another brand that holds up well, THAT is what I currently have in my 22 wheeler , Three years old and has 389,000 miles

Broncmeister

I have an alpine 7871, with an alpine changer, 2 alpine 6X9's, 2 alpine 6" tweets, and 2 JL audio 12" subs. For amps I have an alpine pounding the subs and a jensen 400 watt for the speakers. The head unit and cd changer both never skip, and the sound quality is excellent.

mrcat88

Bronco Guru
Loc.
VacaVILE, CA
I'm all about Panasonic's decks. They last forever, better than any I've seen. Kenwood has some nice speakers that won't kill your wallet, and good sound. I have a bunch of kenwood speakers and a Panasonic deck, and they're still working like new after 5+ years.

Mrcat88