• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aussie Locker

Wyo4x4er

SO can somebody give me some insight on these lockers from a Daily Driver point of view? How about in the snow?

Thanks guys, I know a lot of people use them here.

Hank_

Bronco Guru
If you are off roading in the snow they work well. However if you want to drive it on the road in 4x4 they are the suck. I had one in my Jeep Yj and it made me not want to drive it in the snow. It makes the vehicle pull all over the road in 4x4. Good luck on your decision.

Henry

thirdtime

Contributor
I just installed mine this last weekend. Took a full day but it wasn't to tough. I ran it down a sandy road to try it out and could quickly tell the difference, it tended to pull me around alot more than the open front end. For what I'm using it for it will be great but I can see where it could be a handful in snow type conditions. If you decide to do it, the tech article Jon wrote was worth it's weight in gold to me. It was spot on for the install.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
If you decide to do it, the tech article Jon wrote was worth it's weight in gold to me. It was spot on for the install.
Thanks Thirdtime! Glad it was helpful.

Wyo4x4er, you didn't mention if you were asking about the front or rear. Mine is installed in the front and I agree with Thirdtime's comment about feeling it when the front hubs are engaged. It's not bad, but it's noticeable.

I've never driven it in the snow, so I can't help you there. I would expect it would push you around a bit, which could cause problems.

OP
OP
W

Wyo4x4er

Sorry forgot to mention, it is for the rear. so it seems like it is a very aggressive locker for a DD that i take hunting in the mountains.

Outside of an ARB or other selectible lockers and recommendations? I have never been in a locked vehicle.

I currently live in Iowa but would be taking it to Wyoming and Colorado for hunting.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I wouldn't call it "very aggressive". Any locker other than a selectable is going to give you some amount of pull when it's on the front diff.

I think the fact that you're putting on the rear minimizes the affects, but since I've never run one in the rear I can't be sure. Hopefully someone can give you first hand experience with a rear installation.

sp71eb

Loc.
North Liberty, Ia
Wyo4x4er you are really close to Quick Performance in Ames. I called them up and they installed a rebuld factory ford posi in my 3rd section for 360 installed. It seems to work really nice so far and has no problem with my 33x1250 Goodyear Duratracs. Unless you really want a locker.

Hank_

Bronco Guru
You may also want to check out the Detroit Truetrac. It is a posi unit that should do you well on and off road without and adverse effects.

Henry

08ag

Loc.
Rockwall TX
If you are only locking the front OR the rear, I see the general consensus is to lock the front. Is that correct? not trying to threadjack, just prodding for extra information. On top of that, our other two rigs run aussies up front and they work very well for mild to moderate wheeling.

OP
OP
W

Wyo4x4er

o ok sweet, i think ill give them a ring when i get back for the remanned unit. thanks guys!!!!!