• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Auto shift rod/bushing

jcb9089

I've been struggling with this for a bit. I can not get the new bushing in the shift lever. Is there a trick to this?

Am I supposed to put the bushing on the rod before installing?

It is just too tight and I can't get the bushing to go into the lever whole. It's one of those things that look simple enough, but it's driving me crazy because it won't fit.

Attachments

• bushing.jpg
    bushing.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 20
  • lever and rod.jpg
    lever and rod.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 17

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Lube the bushing with oil then mount it in the hole then push the rod in through it. Heehee my brains in the gutter. They know me there

OP
OP
jcb9089

jcb9089

It tried to lube it up first, but it won't fit...that didn't sound right at all.

This bushing is a tough plastic, do they make them out of softer rubber? Wonder if that's the problem.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Use a C-clamp with a socket or something like that. The C-clamp will push the plastic part into the hole. The socket will allow the plastic to come through the hole.

Next the fun part putting the shift rod back in. We've always just made it happen with a good set of pliers.

OP
OP
jcb9089

jcb9089

Thanks Wildhorses, that was the trick. I was about to start throwing things, frustrated the heck out of me.