• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

auto shifters

fire bronc

Loc.
iowa
Anybody Have Pics Of There Locar Auto Shifter,i Need Pics Of Where Its Mounted In Cab,pic Under Bronc Where Its Mounted To Tranny,also Any Input On Install For A Heads Up,and What Size And Model.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
fire bronc said:
Anybody Have Pics Of There Locar Auto Shifter,i Need Pics Of Where Its Mounted In Cab,pic Under Bronc Where Its Mounted To Tranny,also Any Input On Install For A Heads Up,and What Size And Model.

Sorry I have no pic's. Mine with the AOD was a pain to get right... Many calls to Lokar asking for guidance. The Tech, I think his name was Denver, tried to be helpful, but he did not have an AOD with a A/adapter and a dana 20 with a twin stick bolted to it on his bench.

I had to mount the shifter in almost the last set of holes on the mounting plate. After about a weeks worth of messing with the linkage I got it figured out. I had to extend the Lokar shifter arm (pointing down) by 3 inches. Their bracket, that attached to the trans shifter arm, was kicked forward. I had to fab up mine so that it was straight.(basically extending the factory arm by about 1 1/2 inches. I probably spent more time pondering this problem than anything else that I have done. In 2500 miles I have had no problems...

I had to put on a 2 inch body lift for clearance. I have a removable cover plate on the trans hump and I used a trans boot and retaining ring from a 77 landcruiser. The Lokar shifter was 16 inches long. It came out very clean...

Doug

daddyo

Loc.
Southern California
fire bronc said:

I am in the process of an install as part of my tranny swap. The shifter
(Lokar 12" floor mount shifter) is going just to the right of my transfer case
shifter so I have to use a cable linkage.

I got a custom push-pull cable and a clevis for each end. I have drawings
for the cable mounts and I hope to get those put together this weekend.

If you are interested, I will send pics and all the details when it is done.

Andrew

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Look at the 4R70W Saga in the tech section. I used a locar shifter for that.

I did a cable conversion. Cable starts at the trans linkage, goes forward over the belhousing, down the top of the transmission and ends between the seats. A washer welded to the rib at the transfer case is the anchor. The shifter is between the seats with the handle backwards, Shelby style.