• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

autolite 2100 tuning question

oldiron

Bronco Guru
I ran the '72 on a chassis dyno recently. I was only wanting to check afr at different cruise rpm's, to be sure that I wasn't going to run too lean and run the risk of burning a valve or piston. Cruise afr between 2000-2750 was perfect at 14.3-14.8. But on the full throttle pulls it gets a little lean (13-13.6) for my liking.
Question is; On the 2100 how is this adjusted to fatten up the full throttle part? Power valve, accelerator pump shot?
Opinions are welcome.
Greg

1970 Palmer

Your asking two different questions. Full Throttle is main jets. Full Throttle Pulls is a power valve. It depends on your density altitude.

MIkes' Carburetors has a good information site, and all the hard to find parts.

John

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
But on the full throttle pulls it gets a little lean (13-13.6) for my liking.
Greg

It's actually running richer on full throttle. Leaner would be a higher number, 15+. I'd leave it alone, you're good with 13's at full throttle.

OP
OP
oldiron

oldiron

Bronco Guru
Finally found an old (very old) article that discusses this exact issue. Apparently the only real way to solve the "lean at full acceleration" issue without disturbing the cruise afr, is to enlarge the enrichment circuit from the power valve, i.e. drilling out the passage to a slightly larger one. Probably not worth the effort in this case, as full throttle pulls are rare for this rig. I may pull one of my 2100's off the shelf and give this a try just out of curiosity.
Thanks for the replies.

69_Sport

+1 it's not lean.

13.0-13.6 is RICH, not lean.

You don't have a problem.

1970 Palmer

Finally found an old (very old) article that discusses this exact issue. Apparently the only real way to solve the "lean at full acceleration" issue without disturbing the cruise afr, is to enlarge the enrichment circuit from the power valve, i.e. drilling out the passage to a slightly larger one. Probably not worth the effort in this case, as full throttle pulls are rare for this rig. I may pull one of my 2100's off the shelf and give this a try just out of curiosity.
Thanks for the replies.

You need to pull off your carb, and figure out what number power valve you have now, and then consider what your altitude is, and at what altitude you want to tune it to run at. For example, You cannot test it at sea level, correct the tune to sea level, then expect it to run optimally at 5000 feet, it will be too rich.

When racing we would tune to the density altitude. The dry desert air at Las Vegas was way worse for making power than the power produced at say Pomona, Sacramento, or even Phoenix. The tracks made up for the lack of power by adjusting the class index to keep a level playing field.

You don't need to drill out anything in the power circuit, just select the correct power valve for your density altitude, and run a couple sizes smaller main jets at high altitude. The carbs were originally very lean at idle to meet federal emission standards, at sea level you might be a little lean, but they will be fine at the higher altitudes.

You also can run more total advance (initial timing plus distributor advance) at the higher altitudes. When tuning, it all works together as a system.

John

1970 Palmer

+1 it's not lean.

13.0-13.6 is RICH, not lean.

You don't have a problem.

I completely agree!

12.5 is max power

13 to 13.6 is still not really rich.

His original cruise at 14.3 to 14.8 is fine.

It's not a problem.

John

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The best full throttle A/F ratio for your engine would be the ratio that that produces the best acceleration. That can be found by trying different jets until you find the best one. If that's larger jets than the ones you have the Power Valve Channel Restriction can be enlarged after replacing the original jets. Here;https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-t...holley-power-valves-explanation-and-tuning/is a good article describing the process to get the best size for your PVCR. The principals for doing this is the same for Ford 2100, 2150, and 4100s. In fact select fit PVCRs made for Holley 4150/4160s would work in your 2100. The Holley power valves work in the 2100 too. A good thing since the Hg valve opening point is stamped on them where Ford power valves are unmarked.