• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Automatic Column or Mustang Floor Shifter for my C4?

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I'm getting closer to my C4 conversion in my 66 and was planning on using a 67 Mustang floor shifter in it. This conversion is behind a straight six so everything is going to move back a few inches. I'm not sure now that I want to go with the floor shifter. I love the look of it but I'm not positive how its going to fit with the early 66 transfer case shifter. I have not totally decided against the floor shifter but I'm starting to consider using a column shifter instead. If I decide to go column shift and can't find a good Bronco donor, Could I use an auto column out of an F150? What would be another donor option? I could find a Bronco column but I can get Truck columns cheap at my local pick a part. If I keep the floor shifter, Could I use a cable instead of the original mustang linkage to attach it to the Transmission so that I can put it where I want it?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Jeremy that reminds me of something. The trans shift lever is different between column shift and floor shift. Column shift levers point forward when in park. Floor shift levers point back in park. They can be swapped out if needed and you can also take an existing lever and reposition it 180 degrees. Reversing the lever would probably adversely affect the operation of the neutral safety switch though.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I didn't think about that. Based on that and the floor shifter may be my better choice. The biggest concern i have is the location of the shifter. I'm trying to figure out where it will end up if I reuse the mustang linkage. I guess I could also make a custom linkage rod to replace the Mustang rod. I think the best location would be just to the right of the transfer case shifter and maybe slightly behind it.