• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Automatic/column shift conversion

Bronkster

The next hang up in the AOD conversion from 3 on the tree is getting the new column shifter to work. I put in a 78 p/u tilt column and am trying to use one of my old shifter arms with a rod end threaded on to it to make the thing work. The problem is getting the indicator to line up and going through the full range from park to 1. It appears that the tranny has a different throw than the column and I bolted a slotted piece of flat steel to the shifter arm at the trans to allow for some adjustment, but can't seem to get the right combo. Has anybody been successful getting the full range on the column and having the indicator line up? I wouldn't have made it this far without your help. Any ideas or pics are appreciated.

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
Find the bellcrank linkage that bolts to an AOD. It should work correctly with the throw on 78-79 columns.

OP
OP
B

Bronkster

Is that a wrecking yard part, or will Jeff's or 1 of the others have it?

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There was a thread on this I think around the 1/20/07. Behemoth has the bell crank set up on his rig and posted some pics, if you can find it that's the way to go.

OP
OP
B

Bronkster

I'll look for the thread, and keep fooling with it. I can get it to work fine through 3 stops either at the top or bottom (P R N or 1 2 D) but then it binds. Thanks for the tips.

OP
OP
B

Bronkster

I got it! It aint perfect, cuz there's some play in the used column, but I have full range of motion and I'm happy with it. Thanks for the help. Cooler lines and then the TV cable. Has anybody done the TV adjustments or is that something I should get help from the tranny shop with? What pressure guage is used, which port, etc.?

vap13

Bronkster, what did you use to get your column shift to work with the AOD? I'm having the same problem where I can just get three and then it binds. I have the stock auto column and pulled some linkage from a pickup I thought would work but still no luck.
The TV pressure I'm still not sure of because my Bronco is still up on jacks and will be for awhile. I did do some adjustment by the Lokar instructions and by doing a search you will find some good info and pics. It seems like as long as the pressure starts moving up as soon as you touch the throttle after your initial setup it should be ok . I'm planning on installing a perminate pressure guage so I can monitor it because it sounds critical to have it right.

Paul

OP
OP
B

Bronkster

I'll try to get some pics, but I used 1 of the shift arms that were used with the 3 on the tree. I ran a 5/16 die up the end and threaded a rod end on for some adjustment and went into the stock arm off the tranny. Before that I was going to weld a piece of slotted flat steel to the tranny arm like the guy at the shop reccomended, but I couldn't get the throw to match. He told me that it was critical that the trans arm not go past 8 o clock as you face it to get park or you'll bind up and said if it did to slot a piece of flat strap, clamp it on with vice grips until you get the right range of motion and then weld it.