• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Automatic Stuck in Park

Vshofel

hi i have a C4 Automatic - with the shifter on the sterring column - i have had some work done recently - and lately a couple of times when starting the bronco up - not every time but a couple of times i couldn't shift it out of P - i tried to play with it for a few minutes and finally it shifted - i can't reproduce it - and it doesn't happen every time - but it happens - and not sure why - and want to get it fixed and addressed - anyone have any ideas ?

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
I know at one point there was a pawl on the linkage at the transmission that basically locked (as I understand it) the torque converter so it could not move. Had a 72 Mercury Montego that would lock up in park if I shifted into park while the car was still moving. Required the use of a very long bladed screwdriver to get it unlocked. Maybe this info will help.

Randy

Broncobowsher

Total hack
When it is locked in park, does the column lever still move up and down, or is it jammed in the park position and not moving at all? Can you move the lever or not?

If the lever moves but the transmission is stuck in park it may be a shifter/column issue. Be VERY careful at this point, you can very likely have the opposite issue as well of the shifter in park but the transmission isn't. You get a very nasty roll away if this happens. With the engine off all gears are neutrals. Unlike a stick shift, the engine has no brake holding if parked in gear and engine off. Engine has to be running for the hydraulic pressure to apply clutches to mate engine to tires.

Third possibilty is the linkage is fine. The park pawl just gets jammed. If you have it running and shift into gear, does the engine load up like it is in gear? You can't freely rev the engine. In which case you are in gear, and park, at the same time. That will be an internal transmission issue.

OP
OP
Vshofel

Vshofel

Hi, column lever it is jammed in the park position - i have to play with it to get it to move and shift gear - sometimes it takes a minute or less, and a couple of times a few minutes - and its not always - so to replicate it, i can't no way of knowing when will be the next time