• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aux gas tank questions? Mounting

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have an aux tank that I got with the bronco, not installed. It is unpainted metal and I have no idea who made it or how old it is. Along with this I received a skid plate and two unequal length straps.

1. Who makes a tank that is not painted, think it is galvanized?
2. Does anyone make a tank with a seperate skid plate?
3. Anyone have pictures of the installation of your aux tank?

Thanks!

I'll get pictures when I get a chance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I didn't see any markings that say who made it. The real distinguishing parts that are different from current offerings from the houses are the sloped top and the sender is in the top. What do you think?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 20

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Its Glavanized... If you take off the fuel pickup tube you can look inside to see if anything is inside. I;m sure if its empty you would hear stuff ratteling around. When I pulled mine I found all kinds a crap like sticks to toy cars.
I have a lastic tank with a seperate skid plate. The straps are different in length because of where the J bolts attach on the under body. Take a look, you will see they are at different heights.

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
got any pictures of what to look for when installing?

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The filler hole is pretty obvious...the bottom hole is the pickup, top is the breather?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Never seen an aftermarket one galvanized. Probably either a custom job or someone got tired of the crappy paint on some and had it dipped. Probably not an Aero (sometimes called Arrow) from CA, since the ones I've seen did not have the hump (like the stock ones did).
Might be a Northwest Metal Products, but I haven't actually seen one of theirs in a long time so don't remember what they're supposed to look like. Check with Wild Horses to see if they know.
Sorry I don't have any pics of mine before I took it out. Basically, the hump goes to the rear and the filler hose fits through the teardrop shaped hole in the body brace. The front end of the straps is held in by a formed piece of steel that bolts to the body. So if you don't have that piece, you'd have a hard time visualizing how the straps work. Some straps use holes and J-hooks, as mentioned, but others use different attachment methods.
Got pics of the hardware you've got?
I'd say yes, the lower one should be the feed line, upper should be vent. "Should" be anyway. Factory feed line came out of the sending unit, so there was not a separate one in the tank. Original position of the sending unit was facing the rear near the filler and filler-vent lines though. So if you install it watch for clearance issues with the floorpan and the sending unit's connector.

Paul

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Never seen an aftermarket one galvanized. Probably either a custom job or someone got tired of the crappy paint on some and had it dipped. Probably not an Aero (sometimes called Arrow) from CA, since the ones I've seen did not have the hump (like the stock ones did).
Might be a Northwest Metal Products, but I haven't actually seen one of theirs in a long time so don't remember what they're supposed to look like. Check with Wild Horses to see if they know.
Sorry I don't have any pics of mine before I took it out. Basically, the hump goes to the rear and the filler hose fits through the teardrop shaped hole in the body brace. The front end of the straps is held in by a formed piece of steel that bolts to the body. So if you don't have that piece, you'd have a hard time visualizing how the straps work. Some straps use holes and J-hooks, as mentioned, but others use different attachment methods.
Got pics of the hardware you've got?
I'd say yes, the lower one should be the feed line, upper should be vent. "Should" be anyway. Factory feed line came out of the sending unit, so there was not a separate one in the tank. Original position of the sending unit was facing the rear near the filler and filler-vent lines though. So if you install it watch for clearance issues with the floorpan and the sending unit's connector.

Paul

The Aero mounts with two through bolts and was made without a hump so it could be mounted on both sides.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
These pics do not show it all that well, but I mounted a metal tank very similar to yours but it did not mount well with the straps because it was a 12 gal., so I used bolts and a custom bracket I fabbed up instead. I did not want to end up being in one of those stories about the gas tank falling off on here! %) Maybe these will help some if you run into that situation.

Attachments

• 11-18-08 006.jpg
    11-18-08 006.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 11-18-08 007.jpg
    11-18-08 007.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 11-18-08 008.jpg
    11-18-08 008.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 11-18-08 009.jpg
    11-18-08 009.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 11-18-08 010.jpg
    11-18-08 010.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 11-18-08 003.jpg
    11-18-08 003.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
so after cleaning it up, this appears to be a home made tank. The filler pipe is threaded and some of the welds are kinda nasty, but it has all the necessary components. The straps through me off till I realized how they secured to the body on the back..now to find some J-bolts