• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aux Gas Tank...Steel or Plastic?

BroncoDad

Loc.
Michigan
Went to fill up the sons Bronco the other day, and as fast as the gas went into the aux tank, it ran out onto the ground. This was the first time since we have had it that we tried to fill the aux tank. Needles to say we were surprised. The question is, then, which would you guys recommend as a replacement - the steel or the plastic tanks? I would normally prefer the steel, but they seem to run about $350, while the plastic goes about $200 cheaper. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!<br><br>BroncoDad

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
I've had both and didn't notice much difference between the two. <br><br>I have a plastic now because it came with the truck, the only thing I will add is a tank skid plate to protect the plastic tank.<br><br>If you go plastic I'd suggest adding the skid plate or go steel and get a bigger tank. 23 or 25gal.

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
Go with Steel. Plastic gas tanks breathe where the "volitile additives" in the fuel literally evaporate over time. These additives assist in the initial spark-combustion of the air/fuel mixture. If gas is in the auxiliary tank for an extended period of time (3-4 weeks), this degradation does effect combustion. Also a consideration ... the plastic tanks have a seam that typically fails at some point in time. Spend the extra money and go for the better and long term solution.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
[quote author=ASE-73 link=board=5;threadid=10509;start=0#76503 date=1035427067]<br>Go with Steel. Plastic gas tanks breathe where the "volitile additives" in the fuel literally evaporate over time. These additives assist in the initial spark-combustion of the air/fuel mixture. If gas is in the auxiliary tank for an extended period of time (3-4 weeks), this degradation does effect combustion. Also a consideration ... the plastic tanks have a seam that typically fails at some point in time. Spend the extra money and go for the better and long term solution. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Not sure that I agree with the whole evaporating deal explained here, but I agree that you should buy the steel tank. Yes, I know gas is extremely volitile, but I don't see how a plastic tank would be any worse than a steel tank, unless it had a large hole in it. If there is one thing plastic won't do, it's "breathe". If you let the fuel sit in any tank, be it plastic or metal, it will eventually turn gummy and less volitile, but that takes a long time, not 3 or 4 weeks. I also agree with ditching the 2nd tank and just getting the 24 gal rear tank. That should be plenty of gas, and will keep the rig more equally balanced front to rear, and left to right.<br>-Eric

justinsane

Loc.
Casper, Wyoming
Don't mean to be contrary (remember little big man). <br><br>I agree with the bigger tank, don't agree with the plastic gas tank thing, but still like my aux tank.<br><br>My best vehicles have allowed me to time running out within 2-3 gallons, but when you're 20 miles off road and the sender decides to give out, it's a good thing to have a reserve tank. Switch them once in a while and run them dry. If it's hopeless, drop it or spend the money. I like lots of options when I'm faced with walk'in 20 mi. <br><br>Always better to wheel with a few vehicles, just haven't always had that option.<br><br>Brian

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
I think you'll be ok with either choice. (plastic,metal...) skid plate you should all ready have hopefully. The secret here is to switch your tanks often to keep the fuel fresh. Besides.....If you drive these gas pigs every day, Do you think the fuel will last 2-3 weeks? ;) ;D

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
The metal Aux. tanks usually hold a little more gas.<br>my plastic tank held like 8 gal. the metal replacement holds 11.. nearly as much as my stock main tank. :)

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I have both a 23 gallon main tank and an aux tank. Love it. Now I can get from one gas station to the next without running empty ;D Seriously, I like the extra range and not having to carry jerry cans. But I do a fair bit of long distance driving in the middle of nowhere.<br><br>Amazingly I still have the OEM plastic aux tank that was installed in September, 1969. I've used it regularly for the seven years I've owned my EB (daily driver). I keep expecting it to fail but so far, so good. My knee jerk reaction would be to get a metal tank but I sure can't fault plastic based on experience.

OP
OP
B

BroncoDad

Loc.
Michigan
Thanks for the thoughts. The Bronc already has an extra capacity main tank (23 gal., I think). I just like the thought of my son having the extra option - I'd hate to have to get up in the middle of the nite to take him a tank of gas! I do already have a skidplate. I was more or less just wondering about the issue of leaks, and sealing and such. Again, thanks for the input.<br><br>BroncoDad

thesnake

Bronco Guru
If i was in this situation, I'd opt for a metal tank, the larger. <br><br>snake

truemouse

Loc.
Fear and Loathing in Lakewood (WA)
Okay, think about this. Exansion, contraction. Steel reacts to heat more than plastic would in this respect. Fill on a hot day and leave out on a cold night and the tank will shrink and you run the risk of tank rupture (seen that too many times in Africa. Roasting days, freezing nights.)<br><br>Rupturing is a major faction here.It's harder to puncture a plastic tank than a steel one. If it's hit and not peirced a steel tank will retain that shape, a plastic tank'll return to it's regular shape.<br><br>Someone said about the dangers of a FAE. This is a pretty likely event anyway as the tank should never be air-tight fumes would escape as a matter of course. (An air-tight tank would mean a crumpled tank as it would slowly implode as gas is removed from it.)<br><br>Petroleum will degrade a plastic tank over a period of time, however, as you noticed, rust would eat through a metal tank a lot sooner.<br><br>Conduction of electricity is a matter of opinion. It could be a bad thing to give returning current (earth/ chassis) a chance to travel around gasoline, however it might be a smart idea to let any static that might built up in the tank dissipate safely back off into the chassis.