• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aux Tank Question

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
Just getting into tearing down my 66. Dropped the tanks this past weekend. I thought I might have an after market aux tank, because it is plastic, but after reading more, I am correct that the aux tank came stock as a plastic tank? Also, is there a reason why the aux tank does not have a vent tube like the main tank? And last, anyone have any good suggestions for cleaning out the tanks. Both tank are in suprisingly excellent condition with virtually no rust, but aux tank had not been used in a long time by PO and had some really rancid gas left in it.

Thanks
Scott

drajj5

Loc.
Ellijay, GA
A guy from the auto parts store helped me with this same problem. I did it on a tank for my 4 wheeler. Pick up some cascade dishwashing liquid from the store and squirt it in there with some water from your water hose ( best to use heated water). shake and rinse. works like a charm

Phil76

Loc.
Aransas Pass, TX
I actually used a little muriatic acid (for the pool) and water to clean out a plastic boat tank. It seemed to clean the junk floating around, and attached to the bottom pretty good. I just rinsed it out and set the tank in the sun for a couple days to let the water evaporate.

cvbfireman

whats the install like on a aux my bronco has the cap but no tank and my cousin has one that came with his bronco but he has a after market large rear so he doesnt need it...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't know why, but mine at least was a real pain. It was fairly obvious how the front retainer went on, but for some reason it wasn't being very cooperative.
And it seemed like the tank expanded while it was out, so I had to really jam the skid plate up and compress the plastic to get the straps and bolts to all go in. Was concerned I might split the seam on the tank, which has been an issue for some people.

Good luck. Nothing like having more gas.

Paul

TDubya

Loc.
Fortuna, CA
I just installed an aux tank on my '69 last month. It had one originally but the PO removed the tank for some reason. I bought the tank used w/ sending unit and got a new sending unit o-ring, filler hose and tank straps from Tom's. I also replaced the old fuel lines and filter. Simple installation.

TDubya

Loc.
Fortuna, CA
BTW- my aux fuel filler neck had the internal vent line instead of the newer style external vent line, which worked for the original poly Bronco tank I bought w/out the vent port.

OP
OP
BoureeOne

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
Donk, did your aux tank have a vent tube? I figure it should not be that hard to plum into a plastic tank near the top to add this. Your thoughts????

Thanks
Scott