• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Aux. Tank Questions

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
Gang,

I'm just about ready to re-install the brand new aux gas tank that the PO gave to me after I bought my EB. He gave me all the parts that came off of it, minus the straps because they were totally rotted. What I plan on doing is purchasing new straps (Wild Horses) and new nuts/bolts from my local hardware store to get this thing back up and running.

This is all well and good but I did some researching on the process and it sounds like it would be a good idea to replace the filler and vent hose as well. I don't have much to go on because I can't find any pictures of the aux tank setup.
Wild Horses sells the Rear Tank Filler Hose for $15 and the Side or Rear Tank Vent Hose for $10. I guess my question is, is it worthwhile to replace these? The old ones that I have don't look to be too worn, but I can smell gas on them, so maybe it's best to be safe rather than sorry and just purchase the new hardware.

So, if anyone has any shots of the aux setup, I'd love to see it and any advice on the whole process is much obliged as well.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When I replaced my aux. tank, I inspected the hoses. They looked fine, no leakes otr smells. I then I put my aux tank in and it works great. I did get new hose clamps cause it makes it much easier to tighten them up rather than use the old rusty ones. If they show wear or cracks get new ones though. At that price it is probably woth getting the new ones. No since risking it. I'd probably go new ones if I pulled the tank again.

Good Luck,

Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Slumlord,

I was going back again and thinking about my aux. tank replacement and it would have been easier to add new filler hoses. As I remember...mine were hard to get off because they were stiff. No elasticity when trying to slip them on the new tank either. It was hard to slip them back over the new neck of the tank. Would have been easier with new hoses that might give or stretch a tiny bit.

Good Luck,

Blue71