• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Available Engine donors 302

andy

Loc.
Charleston
Guys, I will be visiting a few local junk yards soon to purchase a 302 to rebuild. What donors I should be looking for? I do not want to go the EFI route I want to stay with the carb. Any information would be appreciated.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Andy, even if you don't want to go the EFI route, I would plan on buying a newer 87 and up 5.0 with the roller valve train, better heads etc. All of the old 302 will fit the 5.0 including intakes and such. The only problem you could run into is that the newer will need an electric fuel pump as the newer motors don't have the knockout where you would hang the mechanical fuel pump and you will need to order a different cam gear for your dizzy.
Not to mention the older 302 from the bronco were only rated at 125 horses and the new 5.0 are 225hp give or take a few. I personally would try to find a 5.0 from and explorer to give you the short serpentine setup and better heads than the mustang. If you are stuck on buying a 302, then it nots really going to much matter at the junkyard in my opinion. Buy something that is stock and that has not been bored and rebuild it the way you want it.

Ben

rellimgneb

Loc.
Reno, Nv
If you were in reno I have the 302 I pulled from my 77 and it's going to the dump soon because I'm sick of looking at it. You could have it for free.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I kinda agree going the 5.0 route but only for the roller cam nothing else the heads are marginally better than early heads and any early engine can put out the same power numbers with a similar camshaft with a non retarded timing set as most of the early ones had. Which wont be a problem since your looking to rebuild. The 5.0 will require either using the accessory sytem that is on it or adapting yours to it which means you need a different balancer to match your pulley's. You will also need to buy the correct flywheel/flexplate to use your stock tranny. All 5.0 engines have a different balance than the 302 engines. The explorer engine with gt40P heads do make a little more power but your stuck with oddball heads and have to run either a stock explorer exhaust or aftermarket one. I'd try to get a 68-80 302 as they will accept everything off your current engine. Another choice might be a 351W almost everything off your 302 will bolt on to it except the oil pan, distributer, intake manifold and you will need adapters for the accessory brackets but they are pretty cheap.

OP
OP
A

andy

Loc.
Charleston
rellimgneb,

i would definately take it off your hands if i were closer. what engine did you swap in you 77?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
andy said:
broncnaz,

any idea on what i will be looking at to purchase a 351w?
If your junkyarding one it will be the same price as a 302 If you get a 351W out of a fullsize bronco I believe the oil pan is correct for a EB. Then all you will have to deal with is the acessories mainly power steering pump. I can get a complete engine for $150 at the u pull it yard. You can also get rebuilt long blocks at some auto parts stores for about $1500