• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Axle bearing or seal?

Bronco919

Loc.
Cypress, Tx
Hello,

I'm still trying to do the disc brake conversion on my 74, and while I was replacing the passenger side spindle, I noticed that there was nothing supporting the alxe on the outside of the axle housing. Is that correct? I don't remember what the drivers side did, but it definately didn't flop around as much as this one.

Thanks!

Sam

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If your talking about something in the axle tube to support the axle then you are good there is nothing to support the axle thats why theres more play also the length makes it feel different from the short side.

OP
OP
B

Bronco919

Loc.
Cypress, Tx
Yes, that is exactly what I was wondering. Quite surprising that it doesn't need anything supporting it. But hey, as long as it works! :)

Thanks!

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Bronco919 said:
Yes, that is exactly what I was wondering. Quite surprising that it doesn't need anything supporting it. But hey, as long as it works! :)

Thanks!
Not really. There is a bearing in the spindle for the outer axle to stabilize it. The inner axle floats in the tube though which is done to allow it to move in and out and from front to back enough to prevent binding when turning the wheels. The seal for them is deep in the axle tube next to the carrier where the axle doesn't need to move around as much.