• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Axle shims and gear oil level

brbuilder

Finally got around to installing 6* axle shims and in true Bronco fashion it led to something else. Noticed that the drivers side axle seal was leaking. Coincidence or luck but it must have just started. Installed shims, replaced the seal and added gear oil. It took quite a bit of additional gear oil after installing 6* axle shims. Rotating the diff raises the fill hole above the bottom of the axle tubes. I assume my axle tubes now have about 1/4” of gear oil in them. Is this correct or should the level of the gear oil be 1/4”-1/2” below the fill hole so the axle tubes don’t partially fill with gear oil?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Yes you want the fluid in the axle level higher now since the pinion bearings are now higher off the ground (being tilted) and what this does is make it harder for the diff fluid to lubricate the pinion bearings... and you're right, everything we do on an EB brings up another thing you have to do to make the last "do" work properly! LOL

Dino oils climb gear teeth better - least is what I have been told by multiple racers and shops that engineer/build and repair rear ends (diffs). I have not backed this up in studies tho. However, they do not recommend synthetic oils for rear diffs partially because of this.

I used to run Hi9 style rear diffs (hi pinion) and this is why I made so many calls and inquiries to those in the know about oils and oil levels

Overfilling is recommended by many of these same guys to aid in oil flow to those pinion bearings that are now getting much less oil on them when tilted/rotated. A 1/2cup of auto trans fluid was recommended by a couple outfits to keep foaming down but I never did it- maybe I should have but ...

Nothing wrong with axle tubes having oil in them just like they do when you are parked on an angle.

OP
OP
brbuilder

brbuilder

Yes you want the fluid in the axle level higher now since the pinion bearings are now higher off the ground (being tilted) and what this does is make it harder for the diff fluid to lubricate the pinion bearings... and you're right, everything we do on an EB brings up another thing you have to do to make the last "do" work properly! LOL

Dino oils climb gear teeth better - least is what I have been told by multiple racers and shops that engineer/build and repair rear ends (diffs). I have not backed this up in studies tho. However, they do not recommend synthetic oils for rear diffs partially because of this.

I used to run Hi9 style rear diffs (hi pinion) and this is why I made so many calls and inquiries to those in the know about oils and oil levels

Overfilling is recommended by many of these same guys to aid in oil flow to those pinion bearings that are now getting much less oil on them when tilted/rotated. A 1/2cup of auto trans fluid was recommended by a couple outfits to keep foaming down but I never did it- maybe I should have but ...

Nothing wrong with axle tubes having oil in them just like they do when you are parked on an angle.
Thanks for your reply nvrstuk.