• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Moving axle back 1" with shims and Extreme U-bolt Kit

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Not all the way but so far so good...

Attachments

• IMG_20170115_150417982_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170115_150417982_HDR.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 39

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Drilling the hole further back will just made the axle want to wrap even more - not advisable being that nearly any suspension setup makes the axle wrap.

Those Ruff Stuff perches are super long too, they help with wrap.
think I will get the new perches as well, I already have one that is bent down, not sure if it was like that before the po put the wrap bar on or not. but as hard as I am on it, I need stronger longer ones

OP
OP
Cstrom72

Cstrom72

I ordered the Ruffstuff perches. Let's just do it right. Then I can skip the shims and not have any excess lift (I like that level look front to back)
Kinda wondering though if I should have measured a few things before removing the axle?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I ordered the Ruffstuff perches. Let's just do it right. Then I can skip the shims and not have any excess lift (I like that level look front to back)
Kinda wondering though if I should have measured a few things before removing the axle?

When you get the new perches, set them on the axle and install the U-bolts. Check to make sure it's centered and set your pinion angle, with it back on the ground. Tack them, then take it apart and stitch them up!

Mark

OP
OP
Cstrom72

Cstrom72

Noted, thanks! I guess I don't have a baseline of what the angle was at pre removal. First time doing this so I'm just wrapping my head around it. I'm not re-using the factory drive shaft... I suppose I can still use it for getting the correct angle though

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Setting the axel back doesnt really cause much problems. Most people install an anti wrap decice of some kind neway. Mine has been done for almost 2 years and i have not experienced any unusual axe wrap. Right way or wrong way? Who knows? The longer perches are very nice and i like them but if you are going to have any block or amgle shim at all that is not the same length then it WILL create excessive axel wrap due to the extra leverage thal perch will have sticking out past those items. Sooo if you want to try out moving the axel back without makeing permanent changes or just dont have a welder then go ahead and drill the perches or use an ezinch block or zero rate block and give it a try. If you like the result but have axel wrap. Then do the cut and weld.